San ✦ The Aquarium | Merman AU

Published: December 11, 2020
Rewritten: May 20, 2023

Word count: 3,528

DO NOT read or interact if you're under 14

San headed over to the aquarium bright and early like always

San headed over to the aquarium bright and early like always. He liked to get there first before all the other employees so he could have the whole place to himself. Though working at an aquarium and feeding sea life was fun, his favorite part of the day was in the morning before it even opened, when all the glass tunnels and artificial caverns were empty and free of customers.
Rummaging in his bag, he retrieved the keys to his work and walked through the back entrance of the building. He picked up the pace and hurried up the metal stairs to the massive room where the tanks were located, wanting to move as swiftly as possible. Once in the tank room, he dropped his things and stripped down to his swim trunks, his heart beating excitedly as he neared the tank practically hearing the water calling his name. Without wasting another moment, he dove into the massive tank filled with tropical fish. The bubbles that surrounded his body tickled his skin and filled him with a feeling of pure joy.
I'm home. He thought.

You pulled into the aquarium parking lot, grabbing your things and hastening inside while checking the time on your phone. You were certain your coworker, San, was already there, as he habitually showed up to work early before everyone else. It's kind of enjoyable because you were able to get some time alone with him before everyone started showing up for work. You cracked a small smile just thinking about seeing him. He's was so dreamy, adorable, sweet, and just an all around good guy with an eager personality. You had never seen anyone as passionate about their job as San was. The way his eyes lit up when he was feeding the sea turtles, lowering heads of lettuce into the tank, or the way he giggled when the aquarium received baby fish and sharks to nurse.

As you approached the tank room you took a glance over at the tropical fish exhibit, taking a moment to stop and enjoy the view. Colorful shoals of fish swam freely in the serene blue water, their tails flicking lazily behind them. An array of coral, seaweed, and other ocean plants decorate the floor of the tank, bringing life to the artificial habitat. You found yourself getting lost in the scenery, imagining what it would be like to live in the ocean surrounded by cute little fish and vibrant sea life.
The salt water and ocean exhibits have always been your favorite at the aquarium. As someone who's had an attraction to sea life ever since you were a kid, you were living your dream. You get to feed these beautiful sea creatures and take care of them, rehabilitating some of them so they can be returned to the sea. It was a dream come true.
Your eyes followed a Moorish idol floating lazily in the water, it's unique dorsal fin dancing in the gentle current. While gazing at the disk-shaped fish you noticed something or someone swimming around inside the tank. Squinting your eyes, you spotted a tail in place of the silhouette's legs. The person swam a bit closer, allowing you to get a better look and that's when you realized who it was.