Mingi ✦ Trinkets | Merman AU

Published: December 30, 2021
Rewritten: May 20, 2023

Word count: 4,053

DO NOT read or interact if you're under 14

"Okay, now keep your back to the camera, but turn your head

"Okay, now keep your back to the camera, but turn your head. Yes. Yes, okay. A little more towards me. That's it!" The cameraman called out, holding the large camera up while he snapped multiple pictures, a series of shutter clicks sounding.
You turned your head to the side and let him take a few side profile shots.
"You're a natural!" He praised enthusiastically. "Yes! Just like that. Perfect!"

You finished up the photoshoot before the cameraman called for a break, giving you a moment to relax before your outfit change. The shoot was taking place on a dock at the local beach. You were hired to model swimwear for a fairly popular clothing brand, showcasing their new line for Instagram. You headed over to a folding chair where your bag sat, digging around inside and fishing out your favorite pocket mirror; a gift from your mom. It's a little thing, just big enough to fit in the palm of your hand. The back of it was decorated with teal and green faux crystals, the colors resembling the hues of the ocean.
You held the mirror up and checked your reflection, seeing if your makeup had been smudged or smeared during the shoot. As you smoothed your hair out, you noticed something sticking up from the waves in the distance behind you. Moving the looking glass, you saw what appeared to be a person not too far out in the water staring directly into the mirror. The sight caused a gasp to leave your mouth as the mirror fell from your hand. It collided with the edge of the dock and descended into the water with a small splash. By the time you reached out to catch the falling object, it was already out of sight.
"No!" You exclaimed, clutching the edge of the dock.
"Y/n! What's wrong?" Your manager hurried over.
"My mirror." You frowned staring into the water below as if that would somehow make it come back. "It fell." Your bottom lip quivered, tears starting to form in your eyes at the loss of the sentimental item.
"Hey. It's okay. The water isn't too deep here, I'm sure someone can swim down and get it." She tried to reassure you.
"My mom gave me that." You muttered, your voice wavering.
"I'm sure she can get you another one."
"It won't be the same." You sighed.

It was difficult to finish the photoshoot, thoughts of your beloved mirror weighing heavily on your mind. You were almost positive people thought you were being dramatic, but you and your mom have a close relationship and that mirror, while small, meant the world to you.

You had been lying on your bed feeling sorry for yourself ever since you got home from the photoshoot. You should have kept a stronger hold on the mirror, then maybe you wouldn't have dropped it. There was no telling where it was at now. It could have gotten swept away by the current for all you know. Your chest hurts at the thought, that hopeless feeling settling in. You heaved a drawn-out sigh, pushing yourself to get out of bed. Maybe you just needed to take a walk. You slipped on your sandals and headed out to the beach, hoping that by some miracle your mirror had washed up on the shore.
You strolled along the beach, searching the waves as they rolled onto the sand and laved the shore, a small part of you hoping your mirror would wash up, picturing it lodged in the sand when a wave retreated back to the ocean, the blue and green gems glimmering under the evening sun. To your dismay, it never showed, the only thing the waves brought were seashell fragments and small clumps of seaweed. You continued your walk until your feet started to hurt, begging for a moment's rest. Even after all that time you spent watching, walking, and waiting you had no luck whatsoever. Discouraged, you began your walk back towards home, dragging your feet through the sand as you did so, not caring if you got the abrasive granules in your sandals.
It was in that moment you felt that you probably would never find your cherished pocket mirror. You cast your eyes upon the long horizon, mentally cursing it for taking such a prized possession from you. You stopped in your tracks when you caught sight of the brown-haired man from earlier that day out in the water appearing to be out past the sandbar. You blinked a few times, squinting to see from such a distance. The mystery man had his arm held up, a small, round object in his hand. You could see it flash momentarily in the setting sun, your eyes widening in realization.