Always

"If you love them, set them free" that's what they always say. Every damn time you're in a position where a tough choice has to be made.

Always pressured to take the high road. Always meant to say goodbye and Jungkook? Was exactly the same.

It went like this, "hey, uh—sorry, I don't really know where I'm going but I'm looking for PoliSci101??"

"Oh hey! I'm headed there too, with Prof. Choi???"

"Yes! Oh thank god!" The pretty boy laughed, extending a hand "I'm Tae"

"Kook"

"Well, Kook, care to accompany me to our first class of the semester?"

And at that moment, he didn't know. Couldn't have possibly known that this sweet hello would end so bitter.

.⋅ εïз ⋅.

Classroom talks, lead to evening strolls, lead to movie nights, lead to sleepless nights tangled in between sheets, murmurs of "fuck, I'm so glad I met you" and "love you s'much" were thrown around like pennies on the streets.

Both of them, together, tumbling down hill at a speed faster than their lives and /futures/ could keep up with.

It was mid August, hotter than hell. Way too hot to be cuddled up together under a fluffy blanket. But there they were. Legs tangled and fingers intertwined. Taehyung fiddling with their hands with his free one and Jungkook falling in and out of sleep.

"Jungkookie...I'm taking the internship" Taehyung spoke and Jungkook's hand dropped from where theirs were intertwined.

"I'm happy for you, Tae.." he lied

Taehyung rolled to face him, noses brushing and lips dangerously close "unless, there's one good reason why I shouldn't" he whispered and Jungkook wanted to spew out a list of all the reasons in his head why he thought Taehyung shouldn't go.

But not one of them was good enough to hold him back. So he just smiled, a tight lipped one, pressed a kiss to Taehyung's lips and said "I wish I had one".

.⋅ εïз ⋅.

It's been 7 years, since the day he drove Taehyung to the airport. They kept good contact for the first few months but Jungkook got hired on with a big company in Seoul and Taehyung? Had his number changed.

Jungkook has dated around, is currently in a relationship with a nice guy from work. It's nothing too serious but the guy does have a drawer at his flat, so you can imagine how shocked he felt when there was knocking at his door.

"T-Tae!" He shouted and the man in front of him was so much taller. Broader shoulders but still thin, still striking, still flawless, still Taehyung.

"Hi, Jungkookie, been awhile huh?" He said and clutched onto the bag in his hands a little tighter when he saw a man come up behind Jungkook.

"Babe, who's this?" Said man spoke and Taehyung coughed but looked up with a bright smile

"Kim Taehyung, I'm uh—an old friend" and if it broke his heart to say the sentence he has no idea how much it destroyed Jungkook to hear it.

"Well, why don't you come inside then?" The guy said and Taehyung insisted on not staying. Handed Jungkook a card and said he'd hear from him soon.

He didn't though. It's been two weeks and Taehyung hasn't reached out. Jungkook isn't still in love with him or anything—of course not it's been 7 years.

But he is curious, after all. They are in their thirties now. A lots changed, so he dials the number on the business card.

"Ahh, I got the feeling you'd never call"

"You're the one who said you'd reach out"

"Hard to reach out to a man with a partner"

"So you're only reaching out to hook up?"

Pause. "Of course not" it's breathless, too breathless, sends memories flooding into Jungkook's mind of other times he's heard that tone of voice.

"Meet me for lunch?" He asks and Taehyung agreed immediately.

Jungkook probably somewhere in the back of his mind knew. Maybe he just didn't want to admit that he still held onto an open ended fairy tail.

But he knew. Knew the moment he walked into that cafe and saw Taehyung standing there. Berry and blue hair and looking everything soft and cozy—looking like his Taehyung.

The one that stayed up all night looking out the apartment window staring at the stars. Telling Jungkook stories about each constellation.

The one that loved to burrow into his chest and placed butterfly kisses all over it.

The one who stole his heart and ran away with it.

The one he always wanted to see forever with.

So yeah, Jungkook knew. Knew when he asked Taehyung to come home with him, to chat some more—he knew he was going to do something he couldn't take back.

Which is exactly why he texted Jae before hand, "let's talk tomorrow. But do me a favor and don't come by tonight."

And it's not even fifteen seconds inside the closed door of his apartment that Taehyung's arms are around his neck and their lips are slotting together as they always did. As if no time had passed.

It's feverish the way they remove each other's clothing, incredibly hasty and desperate the way they practically run to the bedroom all giggles and laughter.

Switching to moans and panting the second they hit the mattress. Feet caught up in sheets and hearts intertwined.

Feeling like a couple of love sick college kids once again—because that's who they were when they separated.

Because that's who they would still be if Jungkook had given Taehyung what he asked for.

"Me" he whispered against Taehyung's lips once they're back in some decent clothing and cuddled together on Jungkook's king sized mattress.

"What??" Taehyung asked, confused, breathless, unsure

"You told me to give you one good reason, all those years ago and I couldn't think of one..." voice frail and Taehyung's heart is beating so rapidly Jungkook can feel it as they lay chest to chest.

"Let me be the reason you stay" he murmured, pressing their lips together again and Taehyung smiled sweetly into this kiss

"After all this time?" He whispered into the tiny bit of space between their mouths. Long fingers tangled up in Jungkooks /now short/ black hair.

"Always" Jungkook responded as he closed the distance again.

And he supposes all of those people were right, if it's meant to be—they really do come home.