chapter 5-Unspeakable Past

(e.c.)
    My mind was racing furiously, absolutely unprepared to face this situation. Brett had told me a little about his past...he mentioned something about his family - he had a stepmother.
     The large figure towered upon Brett, forcing him to back away and curl up instinctively ; upon seeing Brett like this, my blood boiled.
     'Hey lady. I don't know who you are or what you think you're doing, but last time I checked, interrupting someone when they are having a conversation is RUDE. So please fuck off and leave us alone.' I said, my voice dangerously low. If looks could kill, she probably would have withered there and then.
'Eddy, please don't...' Brett began, and started tearing up, shaking his head like a madman.
'Thats right, Eddy. This is none of your business so don't get yourself into it.' Brett's stepmother laughed with no humour. 'Gotten yourself a bodyguard, haven't you, Brett? Don't forget the rules, you know the consequences. A thousand dollars. By tonight.' She added, smirking at Brett's cowering body.
     I sat there, shocked, feeling as useless as a broken viola as I watched Brett's stepmother triumphantly stroll out of the restaurant.
(b.y.)
     Hot tears fell off my cheeks, each teardrop hitting my white jeans with a thud. I quickly wiped them away, not wanting to make a big fuss about it, only resulting in me tearing up faster. Yea, totally working.
'Brett...are you okay..? I'll always be here for you,alright?' Eddy asked, clearly concerned. His eyebrows scrunched together and he bit his lip. I wonder what it tastes like, my brain suggested. Stupid brain.
'Thanks...can we go? I don't really have an appetite anymore. And I have a...transaction to make, if you noticed,' I replied. He nodded mildly and paid up, tipping the waiter a hundred.
(e.c)
I was never good at getting people to talk out, but something told me this was a perfect opportunity to talk things out.
'You wanna talk about it?' I ask gingerly as we walked out of the restaurant. I studied him, he looked sad, resentful and a little...embarrassed?
'I can't...they will kill me...Eddy you don't understand...' He begun, stuttering and tearing up once more. I exhaled and could literally hear my heart shatter into pieces. Watching Brett so...vulnerable, so helpless, I wanted nothing more than just to hug him and tell him it was going to be fine, but I knew better. He probably wouldn't appreciate the gesture. Probably.
'Hey, Brett, look at me,' I ordered, staring into those ocean eyes. He whimpered softly and obeyed. 'You know you can trust me, right? I care for you and I don't want anything bad to happen to you, please...I can help.' I managed, choking back a sob. And the most unexpected thing happened.
He flung himself into my arms, burying his head into my chest and bursted into tears. It felt so right, like we were two piece of jigsaw that were meant to be fit together, my chest designed for him to bury his head into. I stroked his back slowly, shaking his body ever so slightly, rocking him like I would do with a lullaby. Brett's breathing became steadier and calmer, he whispered a small 'thank you', not leaving my embrace.
'Shh...its going to be okay. I'll be here for you no matter what happens, alright?' I say softly, not wanting to destroy the tender and precious moment.
'Thanks...I really needed that...the person you just met, as you've probably guessed, is my stepmother. She is...not your typical nice person.' Brett states, blushing a little as he pulled away from the hug.
'I'm so sorry...you wanna talk about it?' I prompt as we sat down on the nearest bench after transferring a thousand dollars to Brett's stepmother.
'Its fine. My...my mother passed away during labour and it was just my dad and I. My dad, being the great man he was, decided to marry again. But when I was 5...my dad had a heart attack in one of his performances...and...and he...he passed away too,' Brett mumbled. 'Since then I've been living with my stepmother and 2 step-siblings. My stepmother...she abused me. Physically. She made me do all the chores and would find fault in everything I did...my punishment was getting slapped, kicked, punched and physically harmed by my two step-sisters.' He continued.
'The older of the two...I can't do this,' Brett broke down, sobbing like there was no tomorrow. I wondered how many years Brett had endured this - child abuse.
Not hesitating the slightest this time, I pulled him into my embrace, squeezing either side of his arm tightly and patted him.
'Brett, you're one of the bravest people I've met. Its okay if you don't wanna talk about it now, just calm down, alright?' I comforted him, stroking his back again.
I heard a tiny 'mhm' in response, and decided to bring Brett over to my house. After all, there was no way I was going to let Brett spend the night alone after such a rough day.