Chapter 5

We meet again.

The words that have been echoing in my head for the past 3 days. I canceled all my appointments with Rose for the past couple of days. I go to work during the day and stare at my computer for hours, somehow getting my work done, and then I go home, make dinner, and collapse on my bed. Why did it have to be him?

I should probably explain this. When we met, he shook my hand and we went on talking about work after that. When we were done, he grabbed my hand and asked to talk to me privately and my arm became all tingly.

Yeah, tingly.

I told him that I need to get back to work and he said that he would talk to me before I left. I then asked Levi if I could leave early and he said yes. I left and Jasper hasn't made an attempt to talk to me since. That is probably because we have to move around offices since they are starting renovations and we have been relocated and I don't think Jasper knows which desk is mine. Thank god, but internally, I want to see him again. I want to talk to him again. He makes me feel things that I have never felt before. He made me feel alive.

Stop thinking about that, Ophelia. Stop it.

My phone beeps with an email notification from work. Probably something stupid or something that is important. I guess I can check it.

To: ophelialockhart@live.colemanco.com

From: jasperatwater@live.colemanco.com

Subject: Meeting

Ms. Lockhart, I was informed early this morning that we are to attend a lunch meeting with the owners today. The lunch is at the bistro down the street from the office at 1 PM. I hope to see you there.

Jasper Atwater

Head Data Analyst

Coleman & Co.

(971)-734-8621

Before I can type out a response, my phone pings with a message from Instagram.

Lockhart_Inc.: Have you forgotten about me?

lockhart.ophelia: No, I have just had a lot going on. I told you that I needed time.

Lockhart_Inc.: No, you told me that you would let me know when.

lockhart.ophelia: That's adult talk for 'I need time.'

Lockhart_Inc.: Well, was it enough time? I really want to meet you. Mom and Dad are getting on my nerves.

lockhart.ophelia: I still need time. There are changes happening at work and I have personal things I have to deal with. Your parents are just being parents. Give them a break.

Lockhart_Inc.: You don't understand. I just want out of this house. They are never home half the time and when they are they bug the hell out of me.

lockhart.ophelia: Don't tell me that you are using me as a way to get out of the house. I am not going to take you and run. I have a life here.

Well sort of, but she doesn't need to know that.

Lockhart_Inc.: I'm not asking you to run. I plan on leaving right when I turn 18. I just want to meet my sister.

lockhart.ophelia: I get that, but just give me a little bit more time.

Lockhart_Inc.: I'm just worried that you are going to disappear on me. Remember how you said people leave you, I'm scared that you are going to be like them with me.

lockhart.ophelia: I understand what you are saying, Daphne. I get it, but there are some things that I still need to do. Just give me a few more weeks. I promise.

She leaves me on read. I sigh, locking my phone. When did things have to get so complicated? I look at the time and I see that I have just under two hours before I have to be at that lunch.

Oh, shit. I toss my phone onto my couch and I run into my room to hop into the shower. I strip down and move under the hot water. I wash everything and shave where necessary and turn off the water. I step out of the shower and grab my towel and wrap it tightly around my body. I turn the fan on to help clear the steam out of the bathroom. I grab an extra towel and dry my hair to the best of my ability. I walk back into my bedroom and open my closet grabbing a pencil skirt, blouse, along with a pair of panties and a peach-colored bra. I change quickly and rub back into the bathroom.

Only 10 minutes before I have to leave.

I haphazardly throw on some quick makeup and fix my rat's nest on my head. I make it look somewhat decent. Luckily, my hair curls when it dries, so by the time I get to lunch it will look curdled. I turn off the light in the bathroom and I grab my pair of beige heels off the floor and I run to the front door putting them on.

Yes, I nearly fell over, but it's fine.

I make it out of the house with time to spare and I make my way to the bistro. It is a little corner bistro that I have noticed that most of the employees go to. I walk inside looking for Emma and Scott, but my eyes lock with Jasper. I guess they aren't here yet. He stands up and pulls out my chair for me.

"Are they running late?" I ask adjusting myself in the seat.

"Oh, they aren't showing up," He says leaning back in his seat.

Oh, don't tell me he-

"I just wanted to talk to you," he explains. I go to stand up and he beats me to it.

"Please," he says pleading with me.

I really hope I don't regret my decision.