Epilogue

A couple of months later...

I wish things could have been different. I wish that you could have been here for the day that the woman that destroyed your life went to prison.

I never opened your letter, Dad. I just can't.

That was until Jasper decided that he would be by my side the entire time.

"Are you sure that you are ready?" He asks, gripping my hand. I nod wiping the tears that have already formed. I open the envelope and pull out the folded sheet of paper.

Here we go.

Dear Lia,

I know that me doing this is the cowardly way out, but I just can't do this anymore. I can't pretend that everything is okay. I can't pretend that you or Daphne are just going to treat me like nothing ever happened.

On the brighter side, I got a call this morning. They arrested your mother and the trial is set in a month. It's over. You can live your life with Jasper without worrying about her. As for Daphne, in case of my death, custody of her goes to Maria and Shawn. She will finally have the loving home that she deserves.

Okay, okay. Enough with the logistical stuff. Lia, when you were born, I promised myself that you would be loved, cherished, but most importantly, I promised that I would protect you from Jennifer. When you were 10-years-old, I thought the only way to protect you was to leave you, even if I didn't want to. I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you never got the family that you deserved. I thought about you day and night for the last 15 years and never once did I forget how broken it made you.

I know that Daphne never told you this, but I was there when she decided to text you. I told her about you. It was her bedtime stories growing up. I encouraged her to get in contact with you. I remember the day that Daphne came running to me that you told her you guys could meet. I was so excited, but that is also how the monster found out. That is why she came with us and that is why I acted the way I did. I didn't want Jennifer to come back and hurt you. All I wanted to do was hold you in my arms and take you and Daph and run. Run far away from her, but I knew that you had a life that I missed out on. I never got to see you go on your first date. I never got to see you graduate from high school or college. I missed everything. But there isn't anything that I could do about that. It is in the past and it's what haunts me to this day.

I didn't tell you this, because I knew that you would help so much, but this was my decision. In the following days after we talked at the house, I went to a psychiatrist and was diagnosed again with severe anxiety and depression. I was diagnosed years ago, but nothing changed. I was taking meds, but they ultimately stopped working. That is how I guess I ended up here writing this to you.

This isn't anything that you could have prevented, Lia. And I'm sorry that it had to come to this, but just remember that I love you so much.

Also, Jasper has my blessing. The moment I saw him with you, I knew that you and him are perfect for each other.

Just remember that surviving isn't living. Sometimes you have to take chances in life to get the best out of it.

Don't forget to laugh. Don't forget to live, but most importantly...

Don't forget to love.

Love,

Your father

I fold up the letter again and Jasper takes it from my hand and pulls me against his chest.

"It's okay, let it all out," he whispers. I cry harder into his chest and he just holds me.

Months ago, the only thing that I ever dreamed of is overcoming my phobia, but now, I have dreams larger than you can imagine.

I finally learned how to live.

All thanks to the man holding me.

"I love you, Jasper."

"I love you, Lia. More than you could know."

If I could use three words to describe my life right now:

Live.

Laugh.

Love.

That's all you need in life.