Chapter 8

"I don't see what the issue is here. You love your sister, you finally found a family with her, and now Jasper is changing the way you look at love," Rose explains. Love?

"Loving my sister isn't the issue. She is my little sister, I would do anything for her. But Jasper, I don't know. I told him things that I would never tell anyone." I start to pace around the room trying to figure out the words how I am feeling.

"From what you have told me, you spent so much of your life scared of love or even being attached or reliant on someone that you don't know what to do when you are. That is why I asked you at your first appointment why you thought you had philophobia. Over the course of our appointment and subsequent ones, you proved to me that you did in fact have it. There are a lot of things that a therapist or psychiatrist could do to help people get over their phobias, but in your case, there isn't really much since it is so unique. I knew that Jasper would do what you needed because I know him. He is showing you that there are so many layers to life and love is a big part of it. He is showing you that love isn't always going to break you. Love isn't always going to run away. Love is going to be by your side when the time is right. And Ophelia, that time is now. Just don't lose that chance while you still have it."

Right, when she finishes speaking, she looks at the clock and our time is up. I walk out feeling indifferent. Why am I so against getting to know Jasper? It is not like I'm asking myself to fall in love with him? I'm simply just getting a friend.

Keep telling yourself that, Lia.

I haven't seen Jasper since Saturday and it is Monday. My appointment was this morning and Mr. Worth knew about it which is why I can show up to work an hour late. I scan my badge and I get inside, I head up to our temp floor. I walk to my desk passing everyone working and I put my bag down underneath and pull out my laptop and before I put it down, I pull off a sticky note where my laptop goes. It is written in someone's messy handwriting

Do you want to get lunch later? If so check the box with yes written next to it and pass it over the divider wall. If not, I understand.

- Jasper

He's so cute. Since when was his desk across from mine? I quickly mark the yes box and I lean over my desk and I see him jamming out to some music as he does his work. I never really took a moment to look at him. Dear God, he is one fine boy. He continues to do a little dance to himself and he looks at me staring at him. He pushes off his headphones and rubs the back of his neck embarrassed.

"How much of that did you see?" He asks with a redness creeping up his necks to meet his cheeks.

"Enough to know what kind of person you are," I reply with the sticky note still hanging on my finger.

"And what would that be?" He asks standing up slightly to match my height.

"That's my secret. Anyways, I thought you would like this," I say giving the note he wrote back to him. I sit back down in my seat and move my laptop to its spot. I open it and login and get right to work, as I did that I swear I heard a victorious 'yes' from Jasper's desk. I think he is happy that I'm going to lunch with him. He has an interesting character.

The rest of the morning passed by slowly and I was completely focused on my work and completely oblivious to Jasper standing behind me waiting for me to go to lunch with him. I finish filling out this document for Mr. Worth and I print it. I stand to grab it from the printer next to me and as I turn I fall to the ground due to Jasper scaring the living daylights out of me.

"Oh, shit. Are you okay?" He asks, helping me up.

"Don't do that," I say, slapping his arm.

"I didn't mean to scare you, I was just waiting for you to notice that I was waiting," he says defensively.