Chapter 19

A couple of months later...

It's funny. You think that life will work out the way that it is supposed to, but it never does. You left me right after I found you, and I had so many plans, but it took one moment for it to be torn to shreds.

I'm so sorry.

A couple of months ago...

"You need to talk to Maria and your dad, Lia," Jasper says, helping me clean up my bedroom.

"I know, but it seems so much easier to not deal with it," I say throwing some old makeup in the trash.

"Yeah, because that works," he scoffs. I grab something and I turn around and chuck it at him.

"Ow!" He yells rubbing the top of his head. He walks over to where it landed and picks it up.

"A bottle of lotion. Really?" He asks. I shrug and he walks back over to me and puts it next to the other ones. Instead of going back to where he was cleaning, he stops and leans his head on my shoulder.

"Okay, what's wrong?" He asks knowing me all too well. I take a deep breath and I set the tube of concealer down.

"Its, I- I don't know."

"Yeah, you do." He moves off my shoulder and he sits on the end of my bed. He pats his lap and says, "Come talk to Jaspy."

I give him a look and I roll my eyes. "One, don't call yourself that ever again, and two, fine." I sit down on his lap and he wraps his strong arms around me and I kind of just want to burst into tears.

"Now, I'll ask again, what's wrong?" He asks giving me little pecks on the back of my neck.

"I just- I don't-"

"Let me guess, you really don't know."

"I think I'm just scared. My life used to just be me, but now I have a family, I have you. And as much as I feel strange saying it, I have my dad."

"Well, I don't know why that is making you so scared. You have such a huge support group and no matter what we are going to love you." How does this man always know what to say? He plants a kiss on my temple and my eyes flutter shut.

"I love you," I whisper turning and wrapping my arms around him.

"I love you more," he whispers back.

"I love you most."

"Not possible."

I just wish I knew what storm was coming.

A couple of weeks later...

"Thank you for coming with me, Tia," I say unbuckling my seatbelt. She leans over and gives me a kiss on the temple.

"Your welcome, bebita."

"Tia, I'm not a baby girl."

"You are always going to be my baby girl, even if you are my niece. I lost so many years with you, but I have you now." How is she so accepting? We both get out of my car and we walk down the front sidewalk towards Dad's house. I knock on the door and I vaguely hear footsteps walking towards the door. Dad opens it up and a shocked look appears on his face since he wasn't expecting Aunt Maria to be with me.

"Come on in," he says letting us past. Maria stops and takes another look at him and she lets out a breath. Maria and I stand in the living room waiting. He comes walking in with his hands in his pockets.

"It's good to see you both again," he says awkwardly.

"Chris, we need to talk," Maria says breaking the ice. Dad nods and we all sit down at the couch getting comfortable.