A Gift from the Past

Rhen Var. A cold planet, along the outer rim. The world was once home to a Jedi Citadel, until the Force brought about an ice age. The ice claimed everything in its path, until the planet was covered in the shards of Jedi that still lay frozen on the surface below.

For Ulic Qel-Droma, this planet would be home. If he were lucky, this would also be his tomb. The former Jedi Knight had taken Tai Kamiya as his Padawan learner. While he had the Force stripped from him, he could still provide instruction to his pupil. His only hope was Tai, and the instruction he would give him about the Jedi.

"Master, it's very cold... can we go inside?" A young Tai Kamiya asked his master. Ulic shook his head and chuckled at the young boy's innocence.

"Soon, my Padawan. Very soon. But first, you must complete this exercise. Allow the Force to move in you and create anything you can." Ulic instructed as Tai concentrated, his hand outstretched. Ulic couldn't help but poke fun at his pupil. "Tai... that's not how the Force works..." He sighed and pinched his sinus' together.

Tai gave a frustrated huff. "Master, I've tried. I really have!"

Ulic didn't like when his pupil became frustrated with his methods. "Tai calm down. This isn't hard, my friend. Just relax and concentrate. Feel the wind nip at your arms. The snow as it gathers around you. The sun as it sets in the distance. Feel life, with the crude matter stripped away."

Tai emptied his mind, feeling not only the Force, but the Living Force as well. Slowly, particles of snow moved around as he willed them to form a sculpture of his little sister Kari.

Ulic beamed a smile at his apprentice. "Well done, my Padawan. Well done." He patted his hand on Tai's back.

Tai looked up to Ulic, smiling at his accomplishment. "Master! I did it! I did it!"

Ulic had not felt the emotion he did in some time. Not since he had become a follower of Exar Kun. Not since he had become a Jedi Knight himself. He felt pride, for the first time in over 5 years. For his apprentice, Tai Kamiya, would be his last, and he would teach him everything. Even at the cost of his own life. "That you did, my apprentice. That you did."

____________________________________

Tai awoke in the Ebon Hawk's starboard dormitory. Over a standard month had passed since he had lost the two people he cared about the most. He could feel Kari and Sora's presence in the Force, listening for their whistles of beauty and life, just as he had learned many years ago. However, this time it was different. For reason unknown to him, Sora's presence was becoming weaker, as was Kari's. He started to fear the worst, hoping that Malak would at least make an attempt to try and ransom them back to the Jedi Order in exchange for something.

It had appeared over the HoloNet that Revan had been killed in orbit above the world of Onderon. The Destined Jedi knew the truth, however. Darth Malak had killed his master and taken the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith. With two Jedi captives, there was nothing that could be done to halt his advance from the Core Worlds. Nothing except finding the last Star Map on Tatooine. 'I swear... I will not fail you Sora, Kari. I will find you and bring you home.' His thoughts ran rampant, as he got up from his bedside. Draping his navy tunic over his bear chest, he walked towards the main hold, his bear feet wincing from the cold of the floor panels as he kept moving. He was noticed by Izzy, who was coming from the cargo hold.

"Been a rough few days, hasn't it?" Izzy asked, his voice cracking.

Tai sighed as he kept moving. "Yes, it has."

Izzy looked at his friend's face. The dark brown hair had started to look more greased, and the dark circles around his eyes indicated that Tai had not seen proper sleep in days. "Tai... when was the last time you had any sleep?"