February

Chapter Song: Anna Clendening

"Liam why can't you just own up and tell her?" I rolled my eyes at him.

He was leaning against the counter in Riley's kitchen staring at Hayden and Riley who were across the room. It was hard to push Liam to share his feelings when we were practically the same in that department.

At the same time, my brother shouldn't be miserable around her. Maybe it would be better next year. He might move on to another girl. Maybe it was just that she was around so much he started becoming attracted to her.

"Ken you know I can't," he groaned. He tilted his head back taking a long swig of his beer.

"You've known her your whole life. Why not? It's not like she's a stranger," I poked his chest.

"That's exactly why I can't do that kind of stuff. It's easier when it's a stranger because you might not see them again. Riley will probably come over for dinner tomorrow if she sleeps through pancake breakfast." 

"But you guys are friends! You know each other and get along so well! Just do it," I groaned.

He began to look at me with a calculated expression. He took another drink before he spoke again. "Look how that worked out for the last two friends who admitted their feelings to each other." There was malice in his voice.

"Ouch," I said. His words did hurt there was no deny it. I knew it was all over my face.

"Ken, you know I didn't mean it," all of his serious demeanor melted away. He tried reaching out for me but I shrugged him off.

I slowly backed away from him giving him a nod. I went into the living room and grabbed Riley's hand. I began to dance with her since I think Hayden went to go grab a drink or find his boyfriend.

We danced our worries away with each passing song. We talked a little bit about what we should all do for spring break. None of us were sure but we wanted to do something fun.

Ty brought up the cabin but I was a little nervous to go back. I still got the occasional nightmare about the last time we were there.

I shuddered at the thought snapping me back to reality. I quickly looked around the room. It's not that I was looking for anything in particular, just trying to be aware of my surroundings.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I noticed a mop of deep brown curls make their way outside. I whispered to Riley that I would be back and shuffled along.

"Hey is everything okay," I asked shutting the front door behind me.

In front of me, Cal sat on the front porch steps staring off into the night. I remembered this was us last year but he came and spoke to me. Funny how things turn around.

"Yeah," he sniffed. His back was still to me so I sat next to him. He was gazing down at his hands unable to meet my eyes.

"Hey what's going on?" I asked him again wrapping my arms around his waist. I hoped that he would turn around and do the same to me but he didn't.

I'm not even sure if he registered my touch but I just needed him to know that I was here for him.

"Do you wanna talk or sit down?" I whispered.

"You know how my dad moved out?" I nodded. "Well he made me go to dinner with him and his new family," he wiped his nose again laughing to himself before continuing.

"Turns out it was Natalie's mom he was having an affair with and that's why they moved to town," he let out an actual laugh this time that let the tears fall.