26

Chapter Song: Young and Alive- Bazzi

"Oh, c'mon Liam don't be such a sissy!" Riley and Natalie yelled at Liam.

We had been trying to get him to play chicken for the past half hour but he just sat on the dock like a bum. He had a glum look to him and I couldn't figure out why. My guess was that Riley looked killer in her red bikini and it showcased her deep tan.

He was stupid in love but was too afraid to admit it. I had to give it to him, my best friend was hot. Not to mention that I hadn't forgotten his comment he made to me at Riley's Valentines' party last month. It was a total mood killer, but I understood.

"Whatever, let him pout over there," I told the girls hopping onto Mason's shoulders. "Any takers?" I called to them.

It made things a little hard since there wasn't a proper girl to boy ratio between us, so the guys would go up against each other and the girls would take turns. Sometimes the guys would go against us. Mason had let me knock him off of Cal's shoulders. I think Cal helped shove him off just for fun.

"I guess I'll have to show you who the real winner is," Cal called over to me already sitting on Ty's shoulders.

"Oh, you're on McCormick," I challenged. Anytime Cal tried to challenge me with things like this I always felt a rush of excitement I couldn't explain. It was electrifying.

We played a good round of chicken. He latched his hands into my armpits and tried to lift me of Mason's shoulders. I ended up locking my legs together so he couldn't get me off. Meanwhile, I tried to jab him in the ribs to help him lose balance.

I made Mason move forward so that we were super close to Cal and Ty. I firmly placed my hand behind his neck and inched my face closer to his. I felt his breath catch in the back of his throat as he stared at my lips. I leaned even closer pretending to close my eyes as he did the same. Only instead of kissing him, I used my other hand to push him backward. He landed in the water with a huge splash.

"You play dirty Parker," he splashed some water at me as I hopped off Mason's shoulders.
He and Ty both gave me a high five as Natalie hopped onto Ty's shoulders.

"You think you'd learn that truck by now," I shrugged. "But yet you never do."

Hayden and Riley made their way over to go in the next round. Cal kept giving me mean looks jokingly. As I started for the dock Cal followed me mischievously. It was a slow follow at first. I didn't notice until I looked back at our friends laughing. That was when I caught his eye.

"Don't get any ideas," I warned him as he sunk into the water.

I began to swim as fast as I could to the dock. Just as I grabbed for the ladder I felt a hand wrap around my leg yanking me underwater. I thrashed with all my might until I was released.

"How dare you!" I splashed water at his face.

"I had to get you back somehow," he smirked splashing some water back at me. I rolled my eyes at him but couldn't help laugh as I made my way back towards the ladder. I stuck my tongue out at him as I climbed up to join Liam.

"Are you going to have any fun?" I huffed pulling myself up.

"Yes, I just needed some time by myself. Get my thoughts together you know," he shrugged.

"Well go have fun, before everyone comes over and starts attacking you. You know you can't avoid her forever."

"Why not," he whined.

"Because she's my literal best friend. You know her almost as well as I do. Now go," I shoved him into the water.

I caught Cal staring at us so I flipped him off. He looked at me appalled but I just laughed before laying down on the dock. The warm sun beat down on my back helping dry the trickling beads of water that stuck to me.

"Hey Kenny," Riley called out a few minutes later. I heard her climb up the ladder and sit down next to me.

"Hey, Riles who ended up winning," I mumbled from my arms.

"Natalie, that girl is a firecracker," she laughed laying down next to me. "What's going on with Liam?"

"Nothing," I lied.

"You're such a liar," she snorted. "What girl does he have feelings for?"

"What?" I was up instantly looking at her.

"I heard you two in the car. You guys were talking about a girl that he needed to confess his feelings for. Who does he have a crush on?" She was trying to pry it out of me, but I couldn't be the one to tell her. If she guessed it, that would be one thing.

"Uhhh.."

"It's me isn't it?"

"How'd you know?"

"Because lately anytime I've been around him he starts acting like a child who dropped his ice cream. I didn't want to think that he liked me, cus he is your brother and I didn't know how you would feel," she admitted.

"Riley, you are probably the only girl I would approve of for Liam to date. Besides if I could date one of our friends why can't you?"

"I know that mean and Mason had that thing last year, but it didn't last long and we really are better off as friends. I just I don't know if Liam could be that way if it didn't work out."

"But what if it does work out?" I nudged her.

"I mean you guys are already stuck with me forever so it wouldn't make much a difference," she laughed.

"Riley do what your heart tells you to do. If you're not into it be honest. But if your curious test it out."

She sat there taking in my words. After a few moments, she looked at me, really looked at me. Then she finally spoke, "I think you should also follow that advice Ken".

"I think we're doing the best we can," I whispered.

She nodded towards all the guys and Natalie splashing around in the water. My eyes lingered on the curly-haired guy laughing all his problems away.

"I still can't believe I gave you advice on my brother. I never thought that day would come," I sighed.

"Oh believe me I know."