27

Chapter Song: Remember the Mornings- Clinton Kane 

After our conversation, we went swimming with everyone a bit more before going back to the cabin. The boys made some burgers while us girls made homemade fries. After dinner, we made a fire and ate some s'mores. We even played truth or lie this time it didn't end badly.

I was relieved, to say the least. Last time it didn't go so well. Thankfully Ty or Natalie didn't decide to make me a target. I smiled to myself as I washed the dishes thinking about our whole day. It was nice to be with everyone again. Without the pressures of our future or school.

I finished up the last of the dishes and set them in the dishwasher to dry. For some reason, I never actually used the dishwasher, even at home. Doing the dishes by hand was always so soothing to me. Maybe it was the water. Something about it was calming no matter how small.

I stopped by the downstairs bedroom knocking not bothering to look up. I decided to stop by to say goodnight before I went up to see everyone else. I felt like whoever was going to stay downstairs would be lonely. Maybe the guys would need something before I turned off the lights to go to bed.

"Oh, you got this room. Who else is with you?" I asked taken aback by Cal lounging in nothing but a pair of basketball shorts. His abs stared back at me tauntingly.

"Oh they let me have my own room since it's my cabin," he shrugged nonchalantly motioning for me to come in and join him.

I slowly walked towards the bed and took a seat at the foot facing him. I pulled my legs in closer to me and hugged them lightly.

"Thanks for somehow convincing your mom to let us all come by the way. How'd you do that anyway?"

"I needed a distraction," he started to mess with his fingernails to avoid any eye contact.

Something had to be up with him. He was in a playful mood earlier. Even tonight at dinner he was in a good mood. I wonder what changed?

"How is all that going? With your dad, have you seen him or talked to him at all?" I was trying to tread lightly on the situation, but I wanted to make sure he was doing okay.

"Nah. I haven't really talked to him since the big bomb he dropped on us. I've been trying to avoid him," he sighed. "I'm dreading graduation because I know I'll have to see him then."

"If you need me I'll be there for you," I told him and I meant it. "But if you don't want him there you don't have to invite him."

"I don't know if I want him there or not." He shrugged. "I mean part of me does but is that because I still stupidly hope that he'll walk back into our lives as if nothing changed?"

"Your thoughts aren't stupid, McCormick."

"I feel stupid," he sighed into his hands.

Giving a small sigh I sat up and crawled over to him. I pressed his legs down so I could sit on his lap to face him. I gently took his hands away from his face before telling him, "you're not stupid."

His gaze met mine with a small smile tracing his lips. It filled me with warmth to see even the slightest change in his features. "Thank you," he whispered.

"I love you, Cal McCormick."

"I love you, Kennedy Parker."