Human!Beetlejuice X Lonely!Child!Reader ❤️

Y/N pouted as she watched the other children play. She swung her legs backward and forwards, pushing herself on the swing. Just another thing she had to learn to do on her own. Watching other children play was painful for her. All she wanted to do was fit in, but she just never seemed to be able to. And not for lack of trying, mind you. She was always pushed to the side; a fact that she has grown to accept. Loneliness was a hard pill to swallow, especially for a ten-year-old. Her parents tried all they could to help her make friends. They scheduled playdates, cozied up to other parents, sent her to clubs and extracurricular activities, but to no avail. Her mother loved her dearly, but she was the type of person that popularity mattered to and the fact that her daughter was at the bottom of the food chain always bothered her. Her father, on the other hand, couldn't have cared less about popularity. He always encouraged Y/N to embrace her weirdness. Y/N always had fond memories of her father; him running around with her on his shoulders, him making little cardboard spaceships with her, him telling her stories of great adventurers before bed. Her father had a best friend that he had had since primary school. They had been through so much together; they were like brothers. Y/N called him uncle Beej. His first name was Lawrence but Y/N's father called him Beetlejuice. Her mother always secretly envied Beetlejuice for his close relationship with Y/N and her father. Sometimes Beetlejuice joked that he and Y/N's father were like her parents. He was always just a little too involved with her family's life for her liking. She called him Lawrence, although if she could avoid speaking his name altogether she would. Y/N's little family had its issues, but she loved it. Beetlejuice would often take Y/N out on day trips and babysit her when her parents went away. She saw Beetlejuice as a part of her family.

But all that was left of her family were memories. She was at school on the day that Beetlejuice had gotten the phone call. Y/N's mother was pregnant and had just gone into labor. Beetlejuice had to stay at home to pick Y/N up from school, and boy was he excited to meet the little tike. He was eagerly awaiting the phone call from Y/N's parents, but the person who had answered was not her parents, It was a police officer. Her parents were on the way to the hospital when a drunk driver swerved in front of them. Her father jerked the wheel to avoid a crash, but he hit a patch of ice and the car drove off of the bridge. They hadn't survived. Beetlejuice stared at nothing, not answering the voice on the phone. His eyes grew heavy with tears, dropping the phone, he sank to his knees. He buried his face in his hands and sobbed. He sobbed until he couldn't sob anymore. He sobbed until he had run out of tears and his throat was throbbing. It felt surreal. He was frozen in fear, pain, and disbelief. He felt numb. His second thought was that of Y/N. How would he explain this to her? What would happen to her? Y/N still remembers that afternoon. That awful afternoon. As soon as she saw Beeltjuice's face, she knew that something was wrong. His eyes were red and puffy, and he wasn't smiling. He always smiled. Y/N ran over to him and he crouched, his arms outstretched. When Y/N reached him he enveloped her in a tight hug. Beetlejuice always gave the best hugs, but this one felt different. This hug said 'I'm sorry'.

"Everything is going to be okay, Y/N I promise." He repeated into the hood of her coat.

He had taken her back to her house so she could get changed and have a snack. During that time, Beetlejuice paced back and forth, not knowing what to say or how to say it. He opted to just sit her down and lay it out. Y/N had the same blank disbelieving face as Beetlejuice had had. Her parents had died and she'd never get to meet her sibling. How was a six-year-old supposed to process this?

The social services and police got in touch with Beetlejuice shortly after to discuss Y/N's guardianship. Beetlejuice was Y/N's Godfather so after vetting him, they decided that she would be best left in his care.

It took them a long time to find a new normal. In the beginning, neither of them knew what to say or do. They just kind of milled through life like lifeless zombies. Beetlejuice didn't have experience being an actual parent. He was usually just there for the fun parts. He was 'fun uncle Beej', and now he had to be her guardian. He had to learn to work, run the house, keep Y/N in check, keep himself afloat and make sure that everything that Y/N needed she had. Y/N didn't talk to anyone. She wouldn't make eye contact or listen to what anyone would tell her. She had become a husk of her former self. When Beetlejuice would meet her eyes, they were empty and dull. Not only did she lose her parents, but she had also lost her best friend; they both had. It took them a few months to get used to their new situation. Y/N had moved in with Beetlejuice and her house had gone up for sale. She would often pass it on her way to school; it would always bring forth new tears. Beetlejuice and Y/N eventually began to open up to each other. Beetlejuice will never forget the first time Y/N had spoken in months. He had missed the sound of her voice. He was so overjoyed that he scooped her up into his arms and cried happy tears into her shirt. They slowly began to mend their relationship with each other. They became inseparable. Beetlejuice decided that it would be best for Y/N to go to therapy to help her deal with all of her thoughts and emotions. That was one of the best decisions Beetlejuice had ever made. Y/N slowly but surely began to put herself back together. It took them four years to feel 'ok' again. Not a day goes by that Y/N and Beetlejuice don't think about them, but when they do, they smile instead of cry.

----------------------------

"Y/N!" She heard a voice call from the street.

She turned her head away from the playing children and looked towards the source of the noise. Beetlejuice was standing at the side of his car, waving her over. She smiled at him and jumped off the swing.

"Sorry I'm late, Kid. Traffic was crazy!" He grinned as she made her way towards him.

She jumped at him, tackling him in a hug. "That's okay, Uncle Beej." She smiled, pulling back looking up at him.

He looked a little startled at the sudden hug but soon grinned down at her. "Ready to go home, Kiddo?" He asked, booping her nose. He stood up and opened her car door, bowing to her like she was royalty.

Y/N giggled and nodded, climbing into the car and putting on her seatbelt. Beetlejuice closed her door and got into the driver's seat. Beetlejuice pulled away from the curb and began their drive home. Y/N talked about her day at school and Beeltjice shared funny stories from his work. They had found their new normal.

(A/N: This was not how I saw this chapter going but it just felt right :))