12: Fading

[Edited by jemi018}

*****

Baekhyun knew Sera since middle school, but they weren't always best friends like they are now.

No.

They absolutely hated each other when they first met.

Sera was the girl who was obsessed with her soulmates; the cliche person who sat by the window and constantly tracing her marks with a finger, a dreamy smile on her face. Mostly everything that came out of her mouth was about her soulmates; constantly dreaming what it would feel like to bond with them. Always thinking about how she would meet her soulmates and who they would be. It would be so easy for her to spot and bond with her soulmates, as she had her mark on the entirety of her lower arm, meaning her soulmates marks would be there too.

Baekhyun was the complete opposite, his skin was left untouched by any soul mark; and after multiple testing, he was deemed mateless. It left a numbing and bitter feeling in him when he first found out, and afterwards he hated the idea of soulmates because he didn't have one. It wasn't fair that everyone could fawn over one day finding the person who was right for them while he was one of the unlucky few to be unmarked. So when he met Sera and noticed the large soulmate mark that intertwined across her arm, he already hated her. Sera soon followed once Baekhyun began insulting the idea of soulmates.

It continued like that till the last year of middle school, constantly avoiding each other; and if they did cross paths, it was filled with tension and insults. That was until Kimie came along, having a mark as well, but didn't stress over it. She was the bridge that allowed Baekhyun and Sera's friendship to cross and grow.

They quarreled even in high school; it just came along with their friendship, but it turned into more like sibling quarrels. It was common, and everyone became used to it.

The two of them never exactly clicked, not closely at first. That was until one day, the shaky seemingly fly crying in the middle of fall; the air was cold and bitter, as Baekhyun made it a point to remove himself from his bed as it were the weekends and his parents were at work. He didn't have any siblings and had the house all to himself, which he enjoyed immensely.

He remembered just scrolling on his phone, paying no mind to anyone; that was until he scrolled past a picture of Sera on his phone on social media. It was a post made a while ago, and for some reason it popped itself back on his feed. It wasn't anything significant, but it did spark a question of where Sera has been the past two weeks. Baekhyun noticed her absence from school, which was due to the cease of fighting and bickering that came with her absence. The teacher did inform the class that Sera was going to be away for awhile for family business so Baekhyun paid it no mind.

He sent a simple text of, 'are you alright?'

Which a few hours later he got a simple, 'yeah,' and he didn't pursue further. They weren't really close as she was to Lilia and Kimie, and chose to not pursue any further, especially if it was personal family problems.

That was of course changed when, during his scrolling of movies, he was interrupted by the ring of a doorbell.

He was irritated that his alone time was ruined but also confused, as he wasn't expecting anyone nor a package. So with furrowed brows, he kicked off the blankets and padded his way to the front door.

There was no peephole, so he swung it open, and the sight before him scarred him.

On a rainy Saturday, where the air was freezing cold that it froze the water on the ground, no one was outside; preferring to stay inside to escape the weather. However, there was Sera, standing out in the rain, unsheltered by the harsh weather and only wearing a lousy sweater to keep her warm, but it was drenched. Hair clinging to her pale face that seemed more blue than anything else; her whole form shivering as her arms wrapped around herself. What haunted him though, were her foggy amber eyes that seemed lifeless even though he knew tears were streaming down her face.