Chapter 5: Doctor

I couldn't think straight today

I couldn't think straight today. All I wanted was Abdu's blood. I slammed the folded laundry down in the pile I had been forming. The dogs in the kennels were watching me closely. I let out a frustrated sigh. It never hit me this hard before, the craving of his blood.

"Carissa!" Mandi barged through the doors to the kennel section.

"Yes?"

"We have a new veterinarian I would like you to meet," she waved her hand for me to follow.

"I didn't know we were hiring?' I felt confused.

"Yes, but only for a veterinarian. Our animal clinic is growing which means we need to have more staff to handle the number of patients we are getting," she gestured her hand into the main clinic room.

I walked in to see most of the staff here with different animals. Some were doing dentistry and others were taking care of major wounds. One person was holding a needle into a cat for chemotherapy. It was one of the fattest cats I had ever seen. Poor thing.

"Doctor Amari! This is Carissa!" Mandi tugged at the blue scrubs of a built, stocky man.

He turned around from the Pitbull mix he was examining. He held a kind smile as he held out his hand for me to shake.

"Ah, it's a pleasure to meet you. Everyone talks about you here," his middle eastern accent was thick.

"Nice to meet you," I shook his hand firmly.

I couldn't help but notice a part of a tattoo was peeping out from under the sleeve of his scrub. He was an attractive man. Hazel eyes that contrasted with his short, black, curly hair. Very well built. The guy had muscles with a clean-cut beard.

"She's the backbone of the clinic, hard worker, and always there if you need anything," Mandi said proudly.

"That's what everyone's been saying," he laughed, "I have to get back to my patient, but I will let you know if I need anything," he smiled politely before turning back to the Pitbull mix.

"Excellent!" Mandi tugged my arm for me to follow her out into the hallway.

"He seems nice, a good fit for the team," I felt he would fit right in.

"Yes, we were defiantly looking at people's personalities when interviewing. We don't want another Kera," her face twisted into disgust.

"Most certainly not."

"I'll let you get back to what you were doing but I'm going to have Doctor Amari close up with you," she left no room for a choice.

"Okay," I nodded.

She smiled and nodded curtly before turning to walk towards her office. I returned to my pile of laundry. Folding the blankets and towels and placing them in the cupboards. I brought some of the towels to the main clinic room. Replacing the used ones and bringing them back. The surgical laundry was the last load in the dryer. Everything else will have to wait until tomorrow.