nine

my brain is scattered. 

time seems as if it's going by slower than the longest day of the year. 

although i haven't seen billie in three days, dr baird comes in every day, at the same exact time, just to check up on me. that brings me to now.

dr baird is once again sitting beside my bed, watching as my eyes wander over the dark grey clouds outside. it rarely ever rains, but of course, i'm stuck in this barred up room with no access to the outside world.

"do you like the rain, rowan?" dr baird asks softly, pulling me out of my blank thoughts.

i shrug slightly at the question, running my fingers through my greasy ponytail. "i used to play in the rain when i was younger, but there's no point in bringing it up if i'm stuck in here."

dr baird lets out a soft laugh, her perfectly painted lips spreading into a wide smile. "actually, that's what i came in to talk to you about."

"is it?" i ask condescendingly, raising my eyebrows at the women as i look at her. "as far as i can tell, you have no intentions of letting me leave this place at all, because you claim that i have some kind of mental disability that i don't believe in."

she leans back in her chair slightly, taken aback by my statement. "rowan, you know that i want what's best for you, and billie told me last night that you love the rain so-"

"so what?" i ask, a bitter laugh leaving my lips. "when have you listened to what billie says? you've said it yourself - billie is just in my head. why are you choosing to listen to her now?"

"shes my daughter," she said sadly, looking down at her manicured hands. "and i trust her."

"but you don't trust me, when i say that i see your daughter literally every night?" i scoff, looking out the window as the soft pitter-patter of the rain hits the window. 

"i had planned on taking you outside and letting you breathe for a minute, but i guess that's out of the question." dr baird sighs deeply and grabs her belongings, standing up. 

"wait.." i whisper softly, my eyes filling with tears as i look at the woman sadly. "are you taking me outside because billie told you to, or because you think it'd be good for me?"

"both," she replies shortly, a soft shrug coming from her shoulders. "you don't need to be cooped up in this room all the time."

i nod once and push the thin sheet off of my body, throwing my legs over the edge of the mattress. "i've been craving fresh air for months now."

"i know you have." dr baird says softly, placing her hand on the small of my back as she guides me out of the small room. we make our way into the hallway, the blinding white of the lights making my head spin.

it takes about a two minute elevator ride and a five minute walk before we're finally standing in front of the two large doors that lead to the outside. 

although the sun wasn't shining, my eyes sparkled with joy as i watch the rain hit the pavement and bounce off of the green grass. 

"go ahead, sweetheart," maggie says softly, gesturing to the door with her hand. "i'll be right here."

i look at her with joy in my eyes as i open the door. the soft breeze that i'd missed so much hit my face and made my hair nearly fall out of the loose ponytail. i grin to myself as my bare feet touch the wet pavement, the earthy type smell hitting me. 

i feel a single drop of water fall onto my shoulder, and then my forehead, and then my chin. soon, i'm soaked with rain water as i extend my arms, looking up at the crying clouds. 

"oh my god," i whisper softly to myself, the coolness of the breeze now hitting my wet skin. "i've missed this so much.."

"i know," i hear a familiar voice. my arms fall from their extended position and my head falls forward slightly. i'm met with the gorgeous blue eyes and plump pink lips. "i've always wanted to kiss you in the rain."