eleven

billie holds the door open and lets the both of us in. maggie immediately pulls billie into a hug, billie hiding her face in her mom's neck. i smile at the two, and bite my lip. 

i stand to the side, watching as maggie cries into billie's shoulder, and my heart breaks at the sight. 

"i'm sorry i lied to her," maggie mumbled through a soft sob, her hands gripping onto billie's dripping wet tshirt before looking over at me. "rowan, sweetheart, i didn't want to lie to you."

"i know," i say softly, my hand moving to squeeze her shoulder gently. "i know you didn't want to; what's done is done, and we can all be happy now."

"you're gonna be even more happy when i tell you what Mom is gonna do for you." billie says softly, a grin spreading over her lips.

i raise my eyebrows at the girl and hum, waiting for an explanation. i look between the mother and daughter and motion for them to go on.

"so," maggie begins slowly, her hand latching onto billie's wrist. "you haven't responded to your med-"

"shes getting you out of here, baby girl!" billie shouts softly, jumping straight to the point. she runs over to me and wraps her arms around my waist, picking me up and spinning me around. i squeal at the action, looking down at her as i start to get dizzy. 

"what the fuck, bil!" i say, slapping her arm. "you could've let her finish."

"she was gonna go on and on about how you're not responding to medications, and how she doesn't see the need for you to be in here anymore, and blah blah blah." billie rolls her eyes and presses her lips to my cheek. 

"dr baird?" i say softly, raising my eyebrows. "is that true or is billie just bullshitting like always?"

"rowan, please, call me maggie," the woman sighed deeply, a playful smile spreading across her lips. "but i was gonna say- you havent been responding to medications, and it's no use to have you locked in here for no reason. your medical evaluation is coming up next week, and i'm gonna try my hardest to get you out of here then."

i smile gratefully, resting my head on billie's shoulder as she holds my body to hers. "i really appreciate it, maggie, you have no idea."

"i just know that my daughter is completely in love with you, rowan, and i don't want to come between you and her." she says quietly, her fingers combing through billie's hair a few times before billie smacks her hands away. 

"okay, that's enough soft shit," billie says, grabbing my hand and pulling me toward the elevator. "this bitch tryna' fuck." maggie glares at billie, and billie raises her arms in defense. "okay, sorry, damn!"

the three of us laugh as we all take the elevator back up to my room. i lean into billie as the elevator takes us up, and her fingers move soothingly over my arms until we're in the safe space of the room. 

"i love you, bil." i say softly as i pull a hoodie and some sweatpants over my shivering body. "you don't know how much this means to me."