HARD TO SWALLOW

A few weeks after, Taehyung had once again went to see Lottie after school. It was a sunny day for once, though the cold was still biting at his skin he had decided not to wear a scarf today. Or maybe he had just been too lazy to grab it from the top shelf of his closet.

As he once again felt the gazes on him from the nearby parents when he stepped on his cigarette, the school bell rang. His eyes started scanning the crowd, noticing the boy Lottie had been talking to last time. It seemed the boy had spotted him as well, the two making short eye contact. It looked like something in the boy's mind clicked because he suddenly started moving towards where Taehyung stood.

Taehyung frowned, wondering where his girlfriend was, and why this jock was stalking towards him. The boy's hands were shaking next to his body, and his shoulders were hunched though he very obviously tried putting on a tough face. It was a strange sight to see for Taehyung that day.

"What's up kid", Taehyung blatantly said, staring the kid down when he arrived right in front of him. It was quite funny how he was just a few inches shorter, but Taehyung still felt like a mountain towering over the high school jock, who by the way, did not look the least bit of happy.

"What's wrong with you dude?", the boy spoke up, anger evident in his voice. Taehyung was taken aback by the sudden question, feeling like it was an accusation of some sort.

"I don't know? There's nothing more wrong with me than the next person?", Taehyung returned, humming in thought, "Some would say different but I guess-"

"Just shut up", the boy snapped, his fists still trembling, from anxiety or anger, Taehyung didn't know, "You- you're disgusting!"

Now, Taehyung was not someone who easily felt attacked. He also couldn't care about judging stares or obvious gossip about him, but this, this topped everything. "Uh- what is your problem exactly? I don't even know you", he tried to say as calm as possible. He really didn't feel like starting a fight with a high school kid.

It obviously had nothing to do with the fact it would be a jock vs computer nerd fight. He was two years older, it just wouldn't be fair to the boy.

"That's right, I don't know you", the boy spoke, disgust obvious in his features as he tried to continue, "B-but this has gone on too long. You should know when to back off".

Taehyung quirked an eyebrow at the angry teen, "I have no idea what you're talking about. Back off what?"

"My girlfriend!", he seethed, "What dude flirts with his own cousin? That's just sick"

The college student looked left and right before pointing a finger to himself, "Who are you talking to? Are you sure you have the right guy?" He was honestly so damn confused by now. It also didn't help that the passing children were giving him some nasty looks, having heard the accusations.

"Of course you're the right guy. I saw you last time. Can't believe you even dare coming out in public", the boy said, his whole body now shaking like a leaf. What was his problem? Taehyung's cousins lived on the other side of the country. How would this guy even know them.

"I'm getting kind of tired of your accusations kid. I'm just here to pick up my girlfriend and go. You know where Lottie is, by any chance?"

Something about his words seemed to anger the jersey guy even more, his whole face hardening. "For the last time, she is your cousin, not your fucking girlfriend!" And with that he abruptly turned around before marching away.

Taehyung blinked a few times before opening his mouth and closing it again. What the fuck had just happened. He couldn't wrap his mind around it, no matter what he tried to think. Why did that dude assume Lottie was his cousin? And why was he making such a big deal out of it? Was he that close to Lottie? Closer than Lottie had led on?

"Just wait a second", he yelled, chasing after the kid who had begun his way home. Taehyung had no idea what he was doing, but he couldn't just let their conversation end like this. Lottie hadn't even shown up, so there wasn't really a point in waiting any longer. "Hey, kid!", he grabbed the raven head by the shoulder, turning him around with all the force he had.

"What do you want. I said what I had to say already", the boy snapped, shaking the hand off his shoulder.

"But I didn't get a say", Taehyung frowned, pushing the younger up against the fence, "You listen here kid. I don't know what the hell your problem is but I will not let anyone talk about me like that. Lottie isn't my cousin, I have no idea where you got that idea from, but I will say it now and you'll better listen because I won't be repeating myself. Lottie is my girlfriend, and not in any way related to me".

"What?" The boy completely paled, his jaw going slack in what seemed was utter disbelief.

Taehyung pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing in absolute frustration, "I just said that I won't be repeating myself". He looked at the boy who was now clenching his teeth, seemingly about to cry on the spot.

"She's my girlfriend. But I don't get why it would be of your concern", Taehyung spoke, quirking an eyebrow. The boy looked like he might be sick, his skin as white as a sheet.

"S-she can't be your girlfriend", the boy said, his tone higher pitched and trembling, "She can't b-be".

"Well, she can be and she is my girlfriend", the older male said, getting a bit worried now, "What's wrong kid?"

"Because she's my girlfriend!", the boy burst out, his fists once again trembling against his body, "So she can't be yours!"

Taehyung felt his own skin pale this time, eyes going wide at the said information. He blinked a few times, gaze fixated on the boy's face. "Wh-what-"

The younger boy was shaking now, realizing the other was as confused as he was. "I- I can't- no", he gasped for air. Mouth open but unable to form any words he turned around and dashed away, tears blurring his sight as he left an equally confused male behind.

"What the fuck?", Taehyung said, taken aback by everything that had just happened. The wheels in his head were turning but nothing could tell him what was exactly happening. Was the highschool boy just kidding and trying to play with his feelings? If so, then he sure was one hell of an actor.

But if he wasn't acting and everything he had said was real, then that meant that his girlfriend had been cheating on him. And there was no way he'd accept that as an explanation.

He turned around as well and went the other way, head up in the clouds as he thought of something that could explain the situation without making his girlfriend the bad person.

Even as he was lying in bed, playing the scene in front of the school on repeat in his head, he still didn't know what to make of the situation. There was no way he was going to let this slide. He needed to talk to that boy again.