➷ Mask | Rengoku Kyoujurou

煉獄 杏寿郎

Being Kyoujurou's tsuguko (a/n: it means successor) is probably the best thing that ever happened in your life.

He isn't strict all the time, only when needed. He's also very supportive and enthusiastic, making you having no stress at all, whenever you're down because of something, he would always be there for you, can you ask for a better master?

He's always smiling.

But sometimes, you felt something else behind that smile of his.

It's like he's wearing a mask.

Others might not notice it, but you sure did.

"You're improving, Y/N! Good job!" Kyoujurou said as both of you lower down your wooden sword, panting from the intense training.

"Thank you, Rengoku-san" he turn to take a towel, while you bit your lip, wondering if you should voice out.

"Rengoku-san...?" you call out softly.

"Mm?" he look over to you after wiping the sweat on his face with a towel, his smile never leaving.

You place your wooden sword down on the floor and fidgeted with your fingers, looking down nervously, Kyoujurou fully turn his body to you, giving his tsuguko his attention.

"I...I know I'm not one to butt in, but, are you really happy all the time...?" you trailed off, half regretting asking your master his personal matters, but you went on.

"You know how you always help me with my problems and such, but you never once told me your frustrations too, I know I shouldn't be questioning your personal matters but...," you took a deep breath and look up to him,

"...I'm here for you if you need someone, just like how you always come to me when I need you-" you stopped as you finally noticed his smile dropped long time ago, your face paled, thinking that you have crossed the line.

"I-I'm sorry! I should go-"

Eyes wide, cheeks red as you felt a pair of strong arms wrap around you, you could feel his soft locks tickling your neck as he bury his head into your shoulder.

"Don't go, you said you're going to be there for me when I need you, right?" his usual loud voice toned down to a soft whisper.

Your arms moved as you return the gesture, wrapping around his muscular body, his warmth never fading.

"I guess...you figured out"

"...When I come home every night, will you be there for me too?" your eyes widened.

Is he...?

He tightened his grip on you.

A soft smile graced your lips,

"Yes"