Chapter 7

Brittany.

My right leg furiously bounced up and down, as I waited nervously for my name to be called. Today was a big day for me. My first modeling gig was today. All my life I dreamt of becoming a famous model, on the cover of ever magazine and on billboards worldwide. I wanted my name to be a household name. Brittany Sky.

With my mother being from St.Lucia and my father being from Costa Rica, it was kind of hard growing up. We didn't have much, but we had all we needed in order to survive. I've always strived to be successful so that they wouldn't have to work anymore. That's my ultimate goal in life, to make my parents proud and make sure they don't have to work anymore.

Time seemed to be moving extremely slow, as I waited in the dull gray room with a few other girls. My hands grew sweaty as my nerves took over. Bad thoughts began to fill my mind with every second passing.

My phone began to vibrate in my cross over bag. I pull out my phone to see I had an incoming call from August. An instant smile spread across my face as I answered the call. "Hello." I say into my iPhone 5s. "Wassup ma. Where ya at? Ya left pretty early dis mornin'." August said smoothly into the phone.

His accent was slightly thick. After having a conversation with him, you would know that he was from NOLA. "Um.. Just out with Jayla and Kayla." I lied. "Oh aight, well-" I stopped listening to August when I heard a lady call my name. "Brittany Sky." The last held a clipboard in hand and her glasses were at the rim of her nose. I thought her glasses were going to fall off of her face.

"Um. I gotta go, I'll talk to you later." I said quickly into the phone, rushing August to hurry up and hang up. "Aight ma." "Ok, see ya later." I ended the class and placed my phone back into my bag. I stood up. "Right here." The lady looked at me with a small smile.

I didn't want to tell August about today yet. If I told him and I didn't get the gig, I would be upset. I didn't need his petty party. So if I got the gig, then I would tell him. That way we could celebrate about my success.

I was tired of sitting around the house and not doing anything. I needed to feel more independent and by me pursuing my modeling career, that was the first step to my independence. August being involved in illegal activity, just to make money, didn't sit well with me. I tried to get him to stop but he tells me that he loves the hustle and doing what he is doing is the only way he knows how to make money.

"I'm Leslie." She extended her hand for a hand shake and I abruptly shook her hand. "Nice to you." I flashed a small smile. "Like wise. Follow me." We walked through a door and down a hallway. Pictures of past and current models signed to this agency were hanging up on the wall.

"Wow." I thought to myself. My eyes explored the setting of this place. Like a kid in the candy store, I lit up with excitement. We reached a door that was grey and has good stars painted on it. The artwork on the looked immaturely done, but maybe that was the look they were going for. I don't know.

The room had a mini runway placed in a huge chuck of the room. Three chairs were placed on the right side of the runway. The back of the chairs read "Bryant", "Zai" and "Thomas". I assumed those to be the last names of the people who were in charge and would be picking models. Nervousness was not the main thing on my mind, but more of curiosity was.

Curious as to who the judges were and if I would be picked. Two white males and a white female entered the room. They took their rightful seats near the runway. Leslie handed them a few papers each and headed back to the door.

She placed her hand on my shoulder. "Good luck." She whispered to me. I approached the three judges and introduced myself appropriately. I knew they would show no type of facial expressions to give me any hints, as to if I made it or not. I said a silent prayer in my head. "You may begin."

-

I drove to one of August's "trap houses" to announce the good news to him. I stepped our of the car, placing my keys inside my crossover bag. As I walked towards the building, I noticed that my shoe was untied. I bent down and tied my roshes.

I knocked on the steel looking door twice and patiently waited. I heard a man on the other side of the door. "Who is it?" He asked. I chuckled as I recognized the man's voice. "Sneak let me in, it's me Brittany." I heard locks click and soon the door opens.

Sneak stands there with a smile on his face. "Hey Brit Brat." He hugs me. "What ya doin' here?" He asked. "To surprise August." I smile a bright smile at the thought of the news I had to tell August. Sneak looks up the stairs where August's office was located. "I don't think right now is a good time. Just wait for him to come home."

"No, this can't wait. So move out of my way." I push past Sneak. I ignore his constant comments to try and convince me to not go to August office. Instead of deciding to knock on the door, I just twist the knob. Once I enter the room, my eyes can't believe what I was seeing.

August had some bitch bend over on his desk, as he stroked in and out of her. Instantly, tears were on the verge of falling, burning my eyes and a lump was in my throat. August saw me and his eyes were the biggest I had ever seen them. He looked just as shocked as I did.

I wanted to run far, far away from here, but my legs wouldn't move. I just stared at August. The bitch he was fucking looked up at me with a smirk on my face and at that moment I knew that, I had to go before some shit went down. He pulled up his pants and tried to approach me, but I backed away with tears rolling down my face.

"Brittany, baby, please let me explain." He begged, but I ignored him and ran down the stairs. I quickly exited the building and basically ran to my car, putting the key in the ignition and driving off in tears.

I pulled into a parking lot, putting the car in park. I knew it wasn't safe to drive in this condition, so I was trying to calm myself down. My head leaned against the steering wheel as my hands covered my face and my soft cries filled the car.

My phone vibrated and I looked at who was calling before deciding to answer. I tried to compose myself, as best as I could so Deandre wouldn't know that I was crying and completely destroyed at this moment. "Hello?" I try to say as normal as possible. "Hey. Are you ok? You don't sound like yourself." He asked concerned.

I wiped my eyes and sniffed. "No, I'm okay. I promise." I said trying to convince him and myself that, that was true. "I'll take your word for it. But I was wondering, if you would like to go out for some lunch with me. You know as friends." He asks. Maybe I did need to distract myself from this whole August situation and this was the perfect chance. "Yeah that sounds great."