"It's A Reasonably Bearable Existence..." Prologue...

"It's a Reasonably Bearable Existence..."

Summary: The Powers That Be have had it with Sheldon...And have decided he needs a little Xmas...

Obviously prewedding and somewhat AU. Tweaking my lil' Xmas classic...

Disclaimer: What's Chuck's is Chuck's...No infringement intended...

Prologue...

To begin with, Amy Farrah Fowler and Sheldon Lee Cooper were a couple...

You must believe that at least there is the bare possibility that they could have been a couple or there can be nothing wonderful in the tale I am about to relate...

As I said, Amy Farrah Fowler and Sheldon Lee Cooper were a couple...Had been for a couple of years...

More or less...

As to being a couple as it is generally understood...

More or less...

And of all the good days of the good year it was Christmas Eve....

And Sheldon, being Sheldon...

"Oh, Lord...I've doubted your existence since I was five and my cat died and you didn't revive her." sigh. "Doubt only strengthened by my scientific training and the event which followed. My father abandoning us*...My mom telling me I'd never need to worry about a man abandoning me, when I was eight...And then my poor sister was exiled to France when I was eleven*...And not a peep from you in response to rather eloquent prayers..." sigh.

"But...I have no other option." careful pause.

"All right...I know I'm supposed to be utterly honest in these communications. It would annoy my boyfriend Sheldon to know I'd temporarily abandoned my principles, caved to superstition, and appealed for divine assistance. But I'm desperate here...As you should know...If you are...All that..." offhand wave...

"And you owe me for favors unrendered...Not meaning to be unfair, but c'mon...You do...And this is such a little favor as opposed to making my father love me and my sis. Making my sis come home. Making me beautiful..."

Renewed sigh...

"I just want...Well, to paraphrase the song lyric... 'All I want for Christmas' is Sheldon...My boyfriend? Which if you can be of any assistance to me at all you should know. Just get him to care enough to be with me on Christmas...Or New Year's...I'd take that...I'm easy...In all possible ways. Strictly with regard to my Sheldon, of course. Please make him see how much his not caring enough to be with me tonight and tomorrow hurts me...Well, not too much...I love him, I don't want to see him hurt...Much." sidelong glance from folded hands... "You got that? Oh, and if you can, please make my sister happier. Thanks...Uh...Yours respectfully, Amy Farrah Fowler, Ph.D."

"Well? You heard that?"

"I heard it..." sigh.

"We've been a little slow with this case, haven't we, Joseph...?"

"There's been a lot going on, sir...Not that I'm making excuses..."

"This young lady's been through a good deal. I realize we've got a lot of folks with more immediate problems. And she is an American which gives her a pretty darn good start compared to billions of good suffering folk...Still..."

"I know, sir...We'll get right on it..."

"And that boy...Dear God...Joseph, make sure it hurts a little. I know we're not in that end of the business but he's getting off a good deal too easily most days..."

"I was thinkin' that myself, sir. Uh, sir...If we are sending someone down..."

"Someone in mind, Joseph?"