Chapter 6

By lunchtime, Ginny wouldn't stop pestering me about Draco. So, I made the excuse of needing to go to the library to study (despite not even having had any homework yet) and slipped away after we'd eaten into the peace and quiet of the bookshelves.

I hadn't entirely lied to Ginny - I was looking for a book for Potions, which covered a concept I was struggling with. While I was poring over the sky-high bookshelves, reading every spine and cover, somebody rounded the corner into the narrow little aisle and walked straight into me.

I hit the floor - or I would have done if a hand hadn't been stuck out to catch me. I grabbed hold of it, hardly able to see with my hair falling in front of my eyes, and was back on my feet, struggling to get my bearings.

"Funny meeting you here, Hermione," said a smooth voice, like a serpent's. "Come here often? Of course you do." I looked up, raising my eyebrows, reflexively balling my fists, although I knew I didn't need to.

"What's it to you, Malfoy?" I started angrily. He raised an eyebrow at me, and I mumbled, "Draco." He grinned.

"Don't get so angry!" He coaxed, as though he was speaking to a small child. He jabbed his head boy badge, pinned to his robes, with his thumb. "You're head girl, remember, Hermione dear. Set a good example, and all that."

"Like you care," I snapped, although I couldn't help smiling. I didn't know why, but I just felt like laughing at something. I was...inexplicably happy, and I didn't have anything to be happy about.

"You're right there," admitted Draco, smirking again and pushing his bright blond hair out of his face. "What do I care that I've been made head boy? I don't. I just like walking around with a shiny new badge on my chest. And sharing a room with dear Hermione," he added, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

I laughed harshly. "Yes," I agreed, faking a big smile. "And I love sharing a room with dear Draco, too." Draco put his arm around me and started to stroll off, but I ducked under his arm and reached up to the bookshelves, taking a book at random.

"I'm studying," I said quickly. He walked backwards and leaned over my shoulder, his face the picture of sarcasm.

"Studying?" He asked incredulously. "What could you be studying for?" He squinted and read the cover of the book I was holding. "Care of Dragons?" He snorted. "You can't be serious, Hermione dearest."

"Well, I am," I said defiantly, struggling to find words. I sat down sharply, opened the book to a random page, and lifted it above my face as my cheeks went red, hoping he'd take the hint and walk off.

"You're trying to get rid of me?" He asked innocently, peeking over the top of the book. I let out a small snort of laughter, then clapped my hand over my mouth. I wasn't supposed to laugh at his jokes. It wasn't even a joke, I told myself angrily. Why did I suddenly find everything funny?

"No," I snapped, trying to force my face back into a frown, despite the fact that the corners of my mouth were turned upwards. "I'm studying, Draco. Learn the difference."

"I'm studying, Draco. Learn the difference," he repeated, in a ridiculously high voice. "Right. I will, Hermione dearest. Studying means getting rid of Draco Malfoy. Getting rid of Draco Malfoy means getting rid of Draco Malfoy. Got it."

I rolled my eyes over the top of my book. "If you say so," I muttered. "Now can you actually go away? As brilliant as your company may seem to you, it's not actually so brilliant to everybody else."

Draco actually laughed. "Oh, I know that," he said, smirking. "I'll leave you in peace with your obviously engaging book, then," he grinned.

My heart was hammering again. Aside from the fact that our conversation had actually gone brilliantly (that is, I didn't fall to pieces on the floor and instantly die when he started talking to me), the main thing on my mind was this: why did he help me up?

I settled back down in my chair and put the book back on the shelf, thinking hard. Then somebody else came flying around the corner, threw their arms around my neck, and made a squealing noise that made me fear that a pig with human limbs had come to kill me.

"Ginny?" I muttered uncertainly. 

"OH MY GOD HERMIONE!" She squealed, jumping up and down. I tried to motion to her to be quiet, but she wouldn't take the hint. "This is so exciting! You and him are so perfect!"

"You heard us talking?" I asked, thinking I already knew the answer.

Ginny nodded vigorously. "The whole thing!" She shouted. "And oh, it's even worse than I thought! You totally like each other."

"We don't - we're not --" I struggled to find the words. Ginny sighed and collapsed into the chair next to me, and took my hands in hers, staring right into my eyes.

"Hermione, you're going to give in eventually, so you might as well say it now. You. Love. Draco. Malfoy."