Chapter 8

"What does this stuff smell like to you then, Granger?" Asked Draco suddenly. I almost jumped out of my skin and sent some of the potion spilling over the edge of the cauldron.

"I have a better question," I said, thinking fast, and I lowered my voice, "Why do you call me Granger in school, and Hermione everywhere else?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "I asked first," he said, sounding like a bad-tempered toddler. "So, what's you answer?"

I clicked my tongue at him as I stirred the potion, then said, "Well, I can smell...books, and fresh parchment, and toothpaste, and freshly-cut grass, and...and flowers."

"You lied about the last one," said Draco in a low voice. "What can you smell, Granger?"

"I've answered!" I snapped quickly, feeling my cheeks grow hot. "Now you answer your question. Stop avoiding it."

He shrugged. "It's...informal."

I laughed. "Informal?" I repeated incredulously. "There must be a reason, Malfoy."

"What did you call me?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"I'm calling you Malfoy if you're calling me Granger," I said simply, shrugging and enjoying his confusion and annoyance.

"Fine," he said, and he looked truly angry. "Fine, Hermione."

I smirked and went back to the potion and smelled it. It definitely smelled like all the things I loved. The potion was coming along well. I smiled happily and continued stirring, slowly adding more ingredients as the smells became stronger.

"Are you smiling because you can smell me?" Asked Draco, out of the blue.

I stopped dead, and could have sworn my heart skipped a beat. I dropped the ladle I was stirring the potion with into the cauldron and instantly regretted it. My breathing was ragged and I felt as though I was going to cry.

"What gives you that idea?" I asked, raising my eyebrows and trying hard to keep my voice steady. "Can you smell me in that potion, Draco?"

"You wish," smirked Draco. I was hoping to hear some uneasiness, some worried edge to his voice, but there was none. So that was it. I liked him. He didn't like me back. I knew that now, just like I'd always known it. But now there was no questioning it.

"Well, what gives you that idea?" I managed to ask, feeling my voice cracking a little with emotion. I swallowed back the sob that had been about to rise in my throat.

"Well," began Draco, grinning broadly, "You're always flirting with me...."

"Am not!" I cried furiously, ready to punch his nose again just like third year.

"And you're always staring at my perfect body, if I do say so myself..." he continued, infuriatingly loudly, so that heads started to turn.

"I don't!" I shouted angrily, on the verge of real tears now. "Shut up! Shut up! You're not funny, and you're not clever, either! Just shut up!"

I was really trembling with anger now, and I was afraid I was going to start crying in front of him. 

"Fine," said Draco, holding up his hands and looking like he was about to start laughing at me. "Just because - what was it, now - oh, yes. You. Like. Draco. Malfoy."

At this, Ginny's head turned from her bench, too, she heard exactly what he said, stormed over to us, and slapped him hard across the face, leaving a red mark reminiscent of the one I'd left on his cheek in third year. Malfoy stumbled backwards, completely and utterly dumbstruck.

"You absolute --" began Ginny, her fiery temper flaring up.

"What are you doing away from your bench, Miss Weasley?" Asked Professor Slughorn sharply, hurrying over at once. "Go back to working with Mr Zabini, please, he really isn't that indecent a partner." Ginny was glowering like a wild animal at Draco, but managed a nod and returned to her bench, shooting deathly glares at him from behind Slughorn's back. Draco was still staring dumbstruck, clutching his face.

"Did Miss Weasley hit you, Mr Malfoy?" Asked Slughorn, turning to him.

"No, sir," said Draco, almost at once. "I just...burned myself on the side of the cauldron, that was all," he offered weakly. Slughorn nodded after what seemed like years, and then turned away with a swish of his dark cloak. I turned to Draco, mouth wide open, with tears still glistening in my eyes. Ginny cast one look over at Slughorn, who was busy helping Seamus and Neville with their exploding cauldron, and then ran back over to us.

"You absolute idiot!" Cried Ginny, and a stream of much fouler words poured from her mouth. "How could you be so cruel?"

"I just saved you from a week's detention, Weasley, be grateful," growled Draco.

"No!" Snapped Ginny furiously. "What do you mean by talking to Hermione like that? You're a pathetic --"

"As much as I'd love to hear you insult me all day, I have a potion to attend to," said Draco delicately.

"Well, as much as I'd love for you to get on with your work, Draco," said Ginny, with mock politeness, "I. Don't. Care. So now you can explain to me why you're dealing with your feelings like this."

"What?" Asked Draco, obviously confused. I have to say, I didn't know where Ginny was going with this either.

"Your feelings," repeated Ginny promptly. "Your feelings for Hermione Granger. You're obviously in love with her. Literally everybody knows."

Ginny winked at me. I was never more grateful to have a friend like her.