Chapter 14

My vision swam. Pansy put an arm out to steady me but I fell backwards onto the cold stone floor. I heard her shriek, and heard voices all around me, close and far, and then I saw Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey bend over me.

"He needs the hospital wing. Immediately," came Madam Pomfrey's grave voice. I thought I heard Hermione somewhere, but then the world went black.

"Draco. Wake up. We have lots to do."

Pansy was sitting on the edge of my bed. Her hand was moving across my chest, but I didn't tell her to stop. As I looked into her eyes, I felt a burning sensation inside my chest, and realised I loved her.

"Pansy." My voice was hoarse, and I felt slow and stupid. I reached for Pansy's shoulder and I pulled her towards me into a passionate kiss I never knew I had the strength to produce. Pansy giggled against my lips, and I felt her smile.

"Come on, Draco. You remember the plan?" Asked Pansy.

"Plan?" I asked, dazed. "What plan?" I ran my hands lovingly through her hair. She moved them away firmly.

"Come on, Draco. We have to do this. The plan."

I nodded. "What about Hermione?" I asked. It was the first time I hadn't felt so dreamy and half asleep, saying that name. But Pansy brushed it aside as she pulled me out of bed.

"What about her?" Cackled Pansy. "Come on, Draco. Let's go." She took my hand and together we ran down the corridors, giggling and laughing. Everybody stared at us, but I didn't care. I just wanted to kiss Pansy again...

"DRACO MALFOY!"

I stopped and turn around. The smile slipped from my face as I saw Ginny Weasley standing in front of me.

"How dare you?" Shouted Ginny. "How dare you?"

"It's not his fault," simpered Pansy, coming to my rescue. "Draco's under a love potion. He's in love with me. It's as I said."

Ginny growled furiously, then turned on her heel and ran. Pansy stood on her tiptoes and kissed me, and everything was set right again. We carried on down the halls, until we reached the Room of Requirement, and slipped inside.

"Now, we're going to carry on with our plan, since you weren't compliant enough earlier," said Pansy, in a smooth voice.

"Okay," I nodded. I didn't know what I was doing. Everything felt like a dream, but I didn't want to make it stop. The potion drifted to my head, and I started to feel stupid and clumsy. Pansy was showing me things and getting me to do things, but I couldn't do them. She gave me some metal contraption and asked me to turn it on, but I couldn't. She started to get frustrated.

"I should never have done this," she growled, pacing the room. I couldn't understand why she was upset. I heard shouts outside the room and her she looked up, fast as a bullet.

"There's people out there," I muttered unhelpfully.

"I know!" Snapped Pansy. "Wait here."

She strode over to the wall and pressed her ear against it. Suddenly I saw a figure emerge through the wall and stare expectantly around. Pansy was hidden somewhere in the shadows. I couldn't move. I was frozen, wondering stupidly where she was and when I could wake up from this stupid dream.

"Mr Malfoy?" I recognised Professor McGonagall's voice - but only just. She strode over to me quickly and put her hand on my shoulder, checking me over quickly. "Mr Malfoy, are you all right? Miss Weasley informed me that Miss Parkinson has you under the effects of a love potion, is this true?"

I shrugged, struggling to get my mind to work properly. "I - I think so," I said, sounding stupid and childish. "I don't know. Yes?" Professor McGonagall shook her head and briskly escorted me back to the hospital wing, where Madam Pomfrey, Ginny and Hermione were waiting. I hardly recognised them. My head certainly was funny.

"Poppy, he needs treating for a love potion. Immediately," ordered Professor McGonagall, pushing me towards her. Madam Pomfrey took me over to one of the beds and I laid down on one of them, looking around as though I'd never been in there before. 

"Allow nobody inside," said Madam Pomfrey. "Girls, the both of you. Out." 

"But --" Hermione protested, looking over at me helplessly. Professor McGonagall gave her a stern look and she and Ginny hurried away, casting worried glances back at me. Madam Pomfrey moved over me with several bottles of something. I swallowed hard.

"I'll just Stun you, in case," she said quietly. Before I could remember what that meant, she'd waved her wand over me and I blacked out almost immediately, feeling my head slam hard against the pillows.