Chapter 11

I woke up, feeling slow and unsteady but happier than I could ever remember feeling. I rubbed my eyes and sat up in bed as sunlight streamed in through the window. Draco was snoring soundly opposite me, his bright blond hair curled and messed up.

I reached over and threw a pillow at him. "Wake up!" I called, wasting no time being nice to him. He sat up at once, holding my pillow in his hands, looking tired.

"What time is it?" He asked groggily.

"Seven o'clock," I answered. "You have 30 minutes."

"I'm so tired," groaned Draco. "I don't believe this." I went over and sat down on the edge of his bed.

"Too bad," I grinned. "If you don't get up now I'll have Ginny come in and hex you awake."

Draco leapt out of bed and I started to laugh. He brushed hair away from my forehead with surprisingly gentle fingers and kissed the top of my nose.

"I - I need to go shower," I managed weakly. He smiled crookedly as I hopped off the bed and disappeared into the shower.

We walked down to breakfast together, careful not to hold hands in case anybody saw. Ginny caught up with us as we passed Gryffindor Tower.

"Not holding hands?" Asked Ginny, grinning.

"I'd rather not," said Draco sleekly, returning to his old self again at once. "With hundreds of people about, and hundreds of Slytherins, might I add."

"Fair point," Ginny agreed, flicking her hair over her shoulder. A Hufflepuff boy who looked about her age was standing by the doors to the hall, waving frantically at Ginny.

"Who's that?" I asked her. Ginny rolled her eyes.

"My boyfriend," she said, sounding bored. "I told him to stop doing that..." She rushed on ahead and talked to the boy briefly before they started snogging. Draco looked revolted and we hurried into the great hall.

"Wait." He turned to me. "You wait here, then after a few seconds, walk in after me. It looks better if we don't come in together." I nodded, and waited a while outside the hall. Then I took a deep breath and went in myself.

I sat down at the Gryffindor table and avoided the eyes of Draco's friends. Ginny joined me a few minutes later, looking disgruntled as she tried to brush her hair.

"How was that Hufflepuff boy?" I grinned.

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Bad," she groaned. "He's so clingy." I laughed and chanced a glance over at the Slytherin table.

Draco was there, chatting amiably with his friends. He looked up and saw me looking at him, then looked away hurriedly. I understood why.

His friends probably wouldn't be as understanding as Ginny. They would probably hate him if he told them, or even if they saw him looking at her.

"You okay?" Asked Ginny.

"Yes," I sighed. "It's just - what do you think his friends would say about me?"

"Probably nothing flattering," said Ginny. "Their fathers are all death eaters, and they might be in Azkaban now but I don't think they're as forgiving as Malfoy."

I stared at her.

"Draco," she muttered as an afterthought. "Anyway, we'd better get to Transfiguration, McGonagall would kill us if we were late." I nodded, swung my bag over my shoulder and looked pointedly at Draco.

He took the hint, muttered apologies to his friends and hurried after us.

"Leaving so soon?" He muttered, slipping his fingers through mine. Footsteps behind us made him break apart at once and when I turned around I saw him with his arm around none other than the waist of Pansy Parkinson.

"Draco, what were you doing with the mudblood and her blood traitor friend?" Asked Pansy wickedly, slipping her arm around his neck. Draco looked increasingly uncomfortable at those words.

"She's not a mudblood, and she's not a blood traitor," said Draco stiffly. Pansy kissed his cheeks sloppily.

"Come on, come back to our table," said Pansy, beckoning him with one finger. But Draco didn't move.

"He's coming with us," I said, surprisingly boldly.

Pansy spit in the direction of my shoes. "Filthy mudblood. Don't talk to him. Come with me, Draco."

"No," he snapped. "Hermione's right. I'm coming with them. Get off, Pansy." He shoved her away and stormed off ahead of us. Pansy pushed past us, calling his name, then stopped and rounded on me and Gin.

"Dear Hermione, is it, now? Well, Hermione, you and Draco won't be spending much time together soon!" Pansy cackled, then she ran out of the hall after Draco.

"What did she mean?" I asked Ginny anxiously.

"She means," said Ginny grimly, "She's going to slip Draco Malfoy a love potion. And we're not going to like it."