Chapter 26

"Hermione!" I shouted. "Hermione!"

"Bloody hell, Malfoy, leave her alone," growled Ginny. I was in the library. I knew I shouldn't be shouting, but my heart was racing and I had to speak to her. Ginny had her arm around her. She was crying quietly, and had her back to me. I sighed.

"I'm apologising for being an idiot," I said, loud enough for Hermione to hear.

"Yeah?" Ginny challenged. "Well, she doesn't want to hear it right now. I didn't think your ego could bear an apology. You've been stupid, Malfoy. I thought you were smart enough not to say stupid stuff to Hermione anymore."

Ginny's words stung, and for a while I couldn't think of anything to say. "I'm sorry," I said quietly. "I - I really am. But if you don't want to talk to me, Hermione, that's okay. I don't care what you want to do over the holidays, come with me or not. It's not my business. And I've been stupid."

The crying stopped abruptly, and Hermione turned around, her eyes red. In a moment her arms were around my neck and she was hugging me tight.

"I accept your apology," she smiled softly. I laughed. "I'm leaving for winter tomorrow," I said, holding her tightly and spinning her around.

Ginny walks over and grinned at me. "Won't that be a shame," she said, raising her eyebrows. Hermione giggled, but blinked back some of her old tears and leant against my chest.

"I'll miss you," she sighed. I smiled.

"I'll miss you too." I reached down and kissed her forehead gently. From behind us comes Luna, smiling brightly. Ginny grinned and slipped her hand through Luna's and together we started to walk down the corridor, smiling like idiots.

"What are you doing over the holiday, Gin?" Hermione asked.

"Going back to the burrow, of course!" Ginny cried. "Where else would I be? But Luna's coming back with me. You can, too, if you want." Her eyes fell on me, and I smiled weakly, my mind whisked away to a totally different world. Surrounded by my friends. My family. Then I remembered where I'm really going, and I stopped abruptly in the middle of the corridor.

"What is it?" Asked Luna gently, wide eyes blinking at me.

I took a deep breath, and asked, "Ginny, can I come to the Burrow for Christmas?"

Hermione gasped, covered her mouth to stop her from screaming out loud with glee, and said, "Can I come to the Burrow too?"

Ginny grinned and said simply, "The more the merrier, I guess."

--------------------------------------------------------------x-x--------------------------------------------------------------

The next day was spent frantically writing to both mine and Hermione's parents, informing them of where we were going, and how long - and of course, packing. Ginny and Luna tried to help me write my letter, but most of their suggestions were unhelpful anyway, and in the end I only wrote a few lines. Finally, I'd be going somewhere else for Christmas that wasn't my dark, dingy home. Finally.

Excitement was building in my stomach when Hermione, Ginny, Luna and I settled down in a compartment together on the Hogwarts Express, our many bags and possessions stuffed in the racks above our heads, all set for the journey down to London with Ginny's bag full of sweets and pastries from the trolley witch.

"I'm really happy you're coming, Draco," Ginny smiled - sincerely. I felt my cheeks warm. "You know, I used to think you were a git, when I didn't know you. Now I know you, I realise --" she paused, then grinned and said, "My suspicions were correct."

Everybody burst out laughing. I tried to be angry with her, but it was impossible. I was going to a home where I might actually be loved - really loved - surrounded by people that I loved. I hardly spared a thought for Pansy, or the death eaters and my father. I'd never have to see any of them again.

There was a knock on our compartment door, which brought me out of my thoughts. I looked up to see Blaise with his face squashed stupidly against the glass. Ginny rolled her eyes and instantly pulled down the shutters. I laughed and went to the door, staring at him with wide eyes.

"Blaise, what do you want?" I asked incredulously.

"Can I sit with you?" He asked, plastering a big, fake grin on his face. He looked around at everybody in the compartment, and then hopefully back at me. I pretended to think for a moment.

"Let me think..." I said, tapping my chin. "Um...no."

"What?" Blaise exploded.

"Kidding, kidding," I said quickly, rolling my eyes. "Come on. There's not much room but you can sit on my lap if you have to."

"Hermione won't like that," Blaise teased, shoving his suitcase up onto the luggage rack. Hermione raised her eyebrows, looking scandalised, and proceeded to laugh when Blaise did indeed sit on my lap, which was not only uncomfortable, but also hurt a lot.

When the train eventually came to a halt, I pushed Blaise off of me as quickly as I could and Hermione took my hand. Whether it was for confidence or what, I was grateful for it. I was definitely nervous about going to the Burrow, although of course I was totally excited. Ginny ran and gave her mother a huge hug, then rapidly introduced her to Luna, who smiled dreamily, and me. I grinned awkwardly as Mrs Weasley took hold of my shoulders and gave me an unexpected hug that I didn't know I needed.

"You're Draco Malfoy!" She smiled. "Well, I know you've not exactly had an excellent few years at Hogwarts, young man, but I assure you, at the Burrow, you're family." She smiled warmly, and I had to return it, as all the doubt disappeared from my stomach. Hermione squeezed my hand and kissed my cheek.

"See?" She said approvingly, following Mrs Weasley to their charmed Muggle car, enlarged to fit their extra guests. "Family."