Chapter 32

"Hermione!" Draco literally ran into me as I made my way through the corridors, and collided with me with a bone-crushing hug that I much needed. Professor McGonagall, Blaise and Ginny were close behind him, and I wondered what had happened that made them miss me so much. Maybe they'd found out I'd gone missing.

"Miss Granger," Professor McGonagall said, looking thankful and restless. "You and Mr Malfoy need to come to my office. Immediately. There is much that needs to be discussed."

Draco held my hand tightly as we walked to the office and the door swung open, to reveal an immensely guilty-looking Pansy Parkinson sitting in the chair opposite her desk. Draco and I took our places either side of her and chose not to look at her - after all, she was the reason that our final year of Hogwarts had been ruined.

"Miss Granger. While you were gone, Miss Parkinson --"

"I know what happened," I said quickly. "I was taken to Malfoy Manor, professor." Draco stared at me and buried his face in his hands. "It's not your fault," I added quickly. "But I know that Pansy has been employed by Lucius Malfoy to ensure that Draco and I don't see each other again. So that...so that she and Draco can marry, and keep the Malfoys pure-blood."

Professor McGonagall stared gravely at Pansy. "Is this true?" She demanded.

Pansy hung her head, and nodded, rubbing tears out of her eyes. 

"Get out of this school," said Professor McGonagall quietly, and dangerously, "And never come back. And when I say you will regret it if you ever return, I mean it." Pansy nodded vigorously, then practically ran out of the office. I moved closer to Draco and took his hand in mine. He must have been feeling terrible.

Professor McGonagall straightened up and addressed Draco herself. "Mr Malfoy, this is not your fault. I will speak to administrators in Azkaban today and inform them that your father should be recaptured immediately. As for you, Miss Granger, you must tell us everything."

So I did. I told her about what Lucius Malfoy had said to me, the restraints, and the three death eaters by the fire. 

"I will make inquiries into those death eaters also," said Professor McGonagall when I was finished. "Both of you may go. I feel as though you have both been caught up in rather a lot this year. Please, your N.E.W.Ts are coming up soon. You must study hard, but rest hard too." She smiled us gently out of the room and I was shocked to see that Draco had started to cry softly.

"Draco?" I asked gently, brushing my fingertips against his cheek, and catching teardrops there. "What is it?"

"Why does my family have to be so messed up?" Draco burst out, slamming himself against the wall as tears streamed down his cheeks. "Why can't I be normal? Why can't I be like everybody else?" He slid down the wall and hugged his knees to his chest. I sat beside him and rested my head against his shoulder gently.

"It's going to be okay," I whispered, kissing his cheek. "I love you, okay? It doesn't matter about your stupid dad. You are normal. And you're the nicest person ever." I smiled softly, and he managed to return it. He cupped my face with both hands and kissed me with so much fire I thought I would literally melt on the spot.

"Wow," I gasped, rapidly brushing my hair behind my ears. "Thanks." I blushed pink.

"Any time," smiled Draco. He offered me his hand and I took it as we both got to our feet. "Come on. It's nearly dinner."