Chapter 25

"Expelliarmus!" Came a small voice from the door. The death eater's wand flew out of his hand, and I caught it deftly. I looked to the door. Standing in the doorway, her face bruised and her lip cut, was Luna Lovegood, smiling avidly.

Ginny flushed and her face spread into a wide smile as she gazed at Luna, just as the death eater charged her and held her by the throat up against the wall.

"Reducto!" Shouted Blaise. The death eater was instantly rocketed backwards and hit the opposite wall with a thud. Then there was silence, where there was only the sound of heavy breathing and shaky breaths.

"Luna!" Cried Ginny happily. She ran across the tower and picked her up and kissed her, grinning from ear to ear. Luna's pale cheeks flushed.

"You're all right," Ginny said breathlessly, brushing Luna's cheek.

"Yes," said Luna happily. "I'm all right. How are you, Draco?"

Luna looked at me with big eyes. Startled, I replied, "I'm okay." I put my arm around Hermione and she leant up against me, yawning widely.

"What time is it?" I asked, starting to yawn myself.

"About ten o'clock," answered Ginny. "C'mon, we should get out of here."

We made our way down from the astronomy tower and walked straight into Professor McGonagall, who was looking flustered and angry.

"Mr Malfoy, did you --"

"It was nothing to do with him, Professor!" Said Hermione boldly. Professor McGonagall turned to her, nostrils white and flaring. "It was his father, yes, but it was Pansy Parkinson, we can explain, we --"

"Miss Granger, please, calm down," said Professor McGonagall, looking a little calmer herself. "Miss Parkinson has already admitted everything to me, and her parents and I both agree that she should be expelled when the end of the winter term comes."

"Oh." Hermione faltered.

"What about my father?" I asked, biting my lip. I couldn't pretend that I wasn't at least a little worried about him. I didn't want him to die - but I at least wanted him back in Azkaban.

"He and the other death eaters he brought into the school will be sent to Azkaban," said Professor McGonagall firmly, as though reading my mind. I nodded, and sighed. "But the winter term is almost up. The holidays are coming soon, and Hogwarts is not festive. Go out and enjoy yourselves, all of you. You deserve a break."

The thinnest of smiles played on her tight lips before she strode away from us.

"It's nearly Christmas," said Hermione dreamily, clinging to my arm as we walked down the corridors. Magical tinsel was hanging itself around the pillars of the halls and around the doorways to classrooms, and enormous Christmas trees had begun to pop up everywhere.

"I was wondering if you'd...maybe want to come home with me?" I asked, dread pooling in my stomach. Hermione looked at me with a small, shy smile on her face as she flushed. "I mean, now my father's not at home, it won't be so bad, and I can understand if you don't want to, but I thought --"

"That sounds wonderful!" Grinned Hermione. "I'd love to go home with you for the holidays." Then her face fell, and she smacked herself. "But of course!" She groaned.

"What?" I asked quickly, my heart thumping.

"Harry and Ron," she sighed, "They've asked me to join them over Christmas, with Ginny. And I have to see my parents, too, for at least a few days, and --"

"Oh," I said quickly. "Don't worry about it." I turned and walked away, wondering why I was suddenly pushing her away. I didn't want to, but a big part of me had been hoping she'd say yes, and now all I felt was bitterness and resentment.

I was such an idiot.

"Draco, I'm sorry!" She called after me. She caught up with me, breathless, and stopped me up against the wall. "I'm sorry. I really do want to come with you. It's just - I'd forgotten all about Harry and Ron, and so --"

"I said don't worry about it," I said loftily. "It's fine, Hermione. I'm going outside."

Hermione stood dumbfounded in the middle of the corridor as I walked away. She shouted after me, "You don't have to push everybody away all the time! You - You do have friends."

I almost stopped, and turned around, and hugged her. But I didn't. I was selfish and stupid, and I didn't want to apologise because I had a huge fragile ego. I groaned to myself and stomped outside, where snow had started to fall, and first-years were having snowball fights in the courtyard.

I rounded a corner and saw Blaise snogging some girl up against a wall, pulled a revolted face at him and turned the other way. There was Luna, sitting alone on a bench, smiling avidly as she watched the first-years make snow angels.

"Hi," I said awkwardly, sitting down next to her. Of all people, now I was talking to Loony Lovegood. What was going on?

"Hello," she smiled. "I heard Hermione. She's right, of course. You shouldn't have walked away from her."

"I know," I groaned, putting my head in my hands. "I don't deserve her, sometimes. I'm such an idiot, and she's so - not."

Luna patted my shoulder gently. "We're all idiots sometimes," she said, in what I suppose she thought was a consoling voice. "But it's a good thing that you can see it. You really should apologise to her."

"I'm going to, Luna." I looked up at her and smiled. "I'm happy for you and Ginny," I offered quietly. She blushed.

"Thank you," she said. "I'm very happy, too. Ginny's so nice. I didn't think she'd like me, after going out with Harry, but..." she paused, unsure of what to say, then stood up. "It was nice talking to you," she smiled, before skipping off down the corridor, her hair and robes billowing behind her.

I really need to get myself together, I told myself firmly. I really need to apologise to Hermione.