Chapter 1

Colors filled your vision as the floral fragrance force their way into your nose. It put a fond smile on your face, you couldn't imagine being anywhere else but in this botanical garden. Well, it's a flower shop, but when you close your eyes, you're transported somewhere else. A box slammed on the floor near you, it made you jump.

"Stop daydreaming and put these in the back." the man grunted.

"What's the magic word?" you teased.

"Put these in the back or else your favorite lavender plant will suffer," he answered with a devilish smirk that raised the hair on the back of your neck. It was an awful contradiction to his angelic face along with the baby pink apron he wore.

"Seokjin, you wouldn't dare," you growled.

"Try me," he pressed further, raising his eyebrows. But upon seeing your pout, he broke into his infamous laugh that filled the room. A few customers turned to look at the handsome man as his face turned red. "I'm kidding," he said, wiping the tears from his eyes. "But please put the supplies in the back for me."

"Ugh, why do you always make me carry such heavy boxes?" you whined. "I'm a fragile girl." You batted your eyelashes at him, hoping it would sway him. But you knew better that Kim Seokjin wouldn't be persuaded by anyone except himself.

"Fragile my butt," he scoffed. "I saw you kicking those boys from your class the other day."

Your shoulders dropped. "They always pick on me, and with the rumors, it's easy to do that."

Seokjin sighed and placed a hand on your shoulder. "Y/N, sorry, I didn't mean to bring that up."

"I know you didn't," you replied. "And once I graduate from university next year, I'll go somewhere far away, where no one knows my story and I can be who I want."

"Well, there's no hurry," Seokjin added, "I could always use some help around here."

"Oppa, I've been a burden to you all my life. I think I need to spread my wings a little." And just the same as all those years ago, he flicked your forehead lightly then walked back to watering the daisies. Your mother had passed away during childbirth, and being riddled with guilt and sadness, your father started drinking and gambling. The debt added up to the point where he ran away, without you. The mafia boss came one day, demanding money from you. Being only 14 at the time, you were terrified.

Seeing that you had no money, the mafia boss had plans to take you with him to make you transactional pawn for his business deals. But luckily, Seokjin's family, who were great friends with your mother, showed up at the right moment. They paid the mafia boss and commanded that he leave you alone or else they would call the police.

After that, they took you in. You had promised to work hard to pay them back but they made a deal with you, that you remain in school and live with them until you were ready to go out on your own. At first, you were hesitant about all their kind deeds to you, but Seokjin being Seokjin, slowly helped you open up through his jokes and nagging. Despite being 6 years older than you, his spirit is still that of a child. And since he was also an only child, he enjoyed having a little sister around.

When Seokjin opened his flower shop, he didn't need to ask you to help him, you were prepared to do anything for him and his family. You owe your life to them. Once you were older, you had asked his parents why they took you in. They said that it was because your mother's biggest wish was for you to grow up happily, and they couldn't let their friends down. Despite their effort to integrate you as their actual daughter, words spread fast around town and you were cast out from school for being unwanted and unlucky. They also believed that you're still affiliated with the mafia boss and do indecent things. That was eight years ago, yet, words never die. You stopped worrying about that, none of those things matter. You have people who love you and who you love now, that's all that matters.

"Oh, I'll go with you to buy groceries tonight," he called out.

You gave him a suspicious look, "Why? Do you not trust that I'll buy onions instead of cheese?" you asked sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes, "Shut up. I know you're not as clumsy as my boyfriend." he sighed, thinking about the boy he had fallen for in university and now they're stuck with each other. Though Namjoon was in the city, working at some big music company. Despite meaningless arguments, Seokjin finally found someone besides himself perfect, and it was fun seeing him flustered whenever Namjoon shows up to surprise him.

"So why?"

Seokjin's eyes became hooded as he glanced outside, "I've been hearing rumors of a mafia gang infiltrating into town. The news reported that some young girls have gone missing. It might not be connected, but still, I don't want to take any chances."

"Oppa," you began, feeling your body going numb at the news. You never thought anything else about this town could be unsafe except wreckless boys from your class, but it seems that you have something else to worry about from now on.

"Besides, if you get kidnapped, who would compliment me on my handsome face from now on?" he huffed, windshield laugh filling the room. A few customers looked over, for the most part, they were endeared because they thought he was as beautiful as the flowers.

"You're unbelievable." you sighed. Then you followed his order to put the supplies in the back. The day went by without any problems. But what Seokjin said was still lingering in the back of your mind. It made you shudder. Right on time, Seokjin locked the doors to the flower shop and walked beside you to the supermarket. His eyes scanned the surrounding streets, feeling a strange sense of alarm, but quickly brushed it off to tell you a new joke he learned.

The shadow smirked under the orange glow of the street light. Target locked.