Chapter 4

The hallway was quiet, almost too quiet where it feels like no one around you really existed. Students scattered around the place, but unlike every other day, they didn't look at you, nor did they whispered as you walked by. It felt...normal, and unnerving. Someone bumped into you, and like every other day, your book fell. At least this was the same routine that you were used to.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry." the student said frantically. "Please don't kill me." he continued as he hurriedly picked up your book and handed it to you, unable to pry his eyes away from the ground. Hesitantly, you took it. Then the boy ran away. People running away from you wasn't unusual, but it was the look of fear on his face as he disappeared from the hallway that made you extremely concerned. Despite the rumors that you killed your mother, no one had ever been scared that you might kill him. But that wasn't your focus right now. When you saw a different sweater vest and the same ugly tennis shoes, you ran and grabbed his arm.

Hoseok, who was already aware that you were behind him, pretended to gasp a little to play along. His eyes did soften a little when he saw how concerned you were with the bruises on his face. Slowly, you reached out to touch his cheek. He wanted to grab your hand and press it closer to his face, but stopped himself. "I'm sorry, it's all my fault. I shouldn't have left you." All night and morning, you had been so worried about the poor boy. Seokjin thought you were having some boy trouble when you asked him about what it means when a boy tells you to run away. Hoseok's parents must have freaked out, and he most likely would hate you for leaving him. But then he smiled, and your heart fluttered. It was much more innocent than the look he gave you yesterday, you still haven't been able to explain it.

"Don't say that. I'm glad you're okay," he replied. He wore a different pair of glasses, one that distorted his eyes a little so you couldn't really see their sharpness.

"Oh," you exclaimed, digging in your pocket and handing him a tube. "It's an ointment, for your bruises."

The corner of his mouth lifted a little. "You didn't have to buy this."

"Oh, I didn't buy this. I had some already for my own bruises," you answered casually. When you realized what you said, his smile dropped. "I mean, I fall a lot."

"Save it." he commanded. "Are you hurt?" he asked.

You shook your head, "Just a small bruise from the fall, but nothing major. I think you should worry about yourself first." Then he pulled you into the empty classroom, his grip was strong and strangely calming. He sat down at his table and inched his face forward. "What are you doing?" you asked.

"Waiting for you to put the ointment on me, duh." he answered.

"Why-"

"Just do it." he stated firmly, his voice boomed through the empty classroom, which was still empty even though class should be starting soon."Please." he said again, this time, it was like a breeze of fresh air. You knelt down in front of him and applied the ointment to various spots on his face. You were surprised that he looked better than expected, Woo Joo normally doesn't go easy on newcomers.

"You should have stayed home, or better yet, move to a different school." you sighed. He was watching intently as you touched his face with a warmth he hadn't felt before from anyone.

"And why would I?" he asked, tilting his head to the side innocently.

"Do you want to be beat up again?" you scolded.

"I should be asking you that." he remarked. "Why would you let these people ruin your life like this? Why don't you stand up to them?"

"Because I'm weak and I'm a coward." you said honestly, both of you were surprised that you had actually said that. "I can't afford to go anywhere else. And I can't leave my family. I just want to get out of here as fast as I can."

"Well, there's no hurry for you to leave." Hoseok said. "And you don't have to worry about getting hurt anymore. No one will dare lay a finger on you from now on." Before you could question what he meant, the professor and students began filing in. As you were about to take your seat at the paint infested table, one of the girls who would normally gossip about you stood up and pushed it away.

"What are you-"

"Here, take mine instead." she said. It wasn't out of kindness, it was fear. She didn't look at you in the eyes as she traded your table for hers. You watched as she shivered, as if an unseen force was controlling her. You wanted to talk to her, to ask what happened. But Hoseok held your wrist, pulling you back.

"Just sit down." he said boredly. He wanted you to accept the matter like it was normal. Nothing about this was mundane, you thought, something was wrong. During the lesson, you were focused on the talks of the other students. It was mostly mumbling, but you could pick up a few pieces. Like "blood", "beaten up", "Woo Joo." At first, you thought they were just gossiping about how Woo Joo had assaulted you and Hoseok yesterday.

But that doesn't make sense, they normally wouldn't whisper his accomplishment. Hoseok noticed that you were growing concerned. He thought what he did would make you feel better instead. What a curious and stupid girl, Hoseok thought to himself. "He's gone," he began.

"What?"

He laid his cheek flat on the table while facing you. The child-like act masked the shadow of his soul. Then his eyes closed as if he was experiencing pure bliss, "Woo Joo, he's gone."