18. 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀

FIVE

YEARS

LATER

     The people of Earth were left with devastation and despair. In Manhattan, the streets weren't jammed packed with cars of impatient drivers. The sounds of honking horns no longer filled the streets of New York; as if the city is completely deserted, the people left spared don't bother leaving their homes. The sky is dark and gloomy, an overcast stayed in the skies for as long as they can remember, and it was like Mother Nature is showcasing just how the people feel.

     Five years passed since the event of the snap. After realizing there was no way of bringing back everyone, the remaining Avengers went their separate ways.

     Darcy doesn't remember where everyone went since their split, but everything was different. Some stayed and continued with their search, trying to make things seem like the way they used to be. Then there's the other half who completely left, leaving the past in the past and choosing to move forward in their life.

     Darcy was one of those people--leaving the remaining Avengers behind to retire for domestic life. For years, Darcy had lived a life where she was controlled and forced to believe a life--trapped in a trance and made into an assassin. Darcy played as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent with her parents, and long after, the woman somehow found herself with the Avengers. Darcy has too many sins sitting on her chest for the woman to carry on, and with half the population gone, Darcy stepped down. The good and the bad tangled in the mess of her mind, mixing with the memories from her past.

    Ever since Natasha released Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secret files, Darcy's alter ego--Ghost--was revealed and presented to the world, tainting the Carter legacy.

     Darcy managed to slip by the government's radar for the first half of Thanos' snap, but slowly, they gained somewhat of control and tracked down Darcy--one of the last few Winter Soldiers that they were aware of. Nearly taken to prison, Steve and Natasha managed to get the woman out of trouble, promising that Darcy participates in the government procedures; in return, Darcy will have to take therapy sessions and avoid anything illegal. They went as well as one would go, but Darcy wasn't as cooperative as the therapist had hoped; fortunately, she was patient and knew how to help her patient.

     Darcy walked into a building where she sees a group of strangers sitting in a circle, talking about their feelings regarding The Snap. As silent as can be, Darcy slowly shuts the door behind her as her eyes slowly scan the room, though she pauses upon seeing a familiar blond man across the room.

     It was strange seeing Steve after so long.

     "So I, uh, went on a date the other day," a man began to speak, but Darcy keeps her attention to the ground. "It's the first time in five years, you know? I'm sitting there at dinner . . . I didn't even know what to talk about."

     Steve looks at the man. "What did you talk about?"

     "Eh, same old crap, you know? How things have changed, and . . . my job, his job," the man, Joe, continues. "How much we miss the Mets . . ." The man pauses, feeling slightly more emotional the more he talks about it. "And things got more quiet . . . then he cried as they were serving the salads."

     "What about you?" Jim, another man, interjects.

     Joe thought about it. His voice was slow and raspy, low and soft. "I cried just before dessert. But I'm seeing him again tomorrow, so . . ."