Dreg

Slowly turning he was met with the very thing he had been looking for. Standing tall and proud was the largest creature he had ever seen. Its mouth alone could eat him whole and probably still have room for more.

Two Amber colored eyes with snake like slits were staring back at him. The dragons body was an off green with spikes running the length of its back and ending in a forked tail. The massive head was surrounded by spikes, as if it was wearing a crown of them, some at least the 4 feet long.

Gabriel had been looking for this dragon all day, but now that it stood in front of him, he was terrified. Does it understand English? Will it even take the Princess? He did not know how to start to ask something of this dignified creature.

"Are you frozen in terror, boy? Speak." The gravely voice that spoke to Gabriel came from inside of his head.

Widening his eyes he stared at the dragon in astonishment. "You can speak inside of my head? I did not know dragons could do that." Instead of answering the dragon huffed and narrowed his eyes as a sign that he was losing his patience.

"I-I-I wish for p-protection." Gabriel finally stated, even standing at least 20 feet from this dragon he could feel the heat rolling off of him.

"You wish for protection? You are on your last legs, one already in the grave. I cannot protect you from death as it has already called your name." Came the gravelly voice in his head once more.

Gabriel already knew he was dying, but having the reminder only boosted his courage. It was now or never, he had to do this for the Princess. "It is not for me," he said as he pulled the Princess out of his coat, "I only wish that this girl is protected for as long as you are able."

The dragon had seen the flames rising in the direction of the Amherst Kingdom and could tell from the girls clothes that she was no ordinary girl. Who would risk their life and walk the wilderness if she was not important. Having lived countless years the dragon knew he should not get into the middle of human affairs.

Even from this distance he could see the young girl as clear as if she was a hairs breadth away. Her little brow was furrowed as she stared at him with those eyes that sparkled like the prettiest aquamarine jewels, but he could tell that she showed no fear in looking at him. What he saw in her eyes was intelligence as she worked through what was happening around her. He had been following these humans at a distance for hours and not once did he ever hear her cry, even when the boy carrying her jostled her or almost fell.

He knew that the boy was practically dead on his feet, the only thing keeping him alive was his quest to bring her here. If he walked away now she would perish with him.

Gabriel was starting to feel nervous. "I also have some treasure that I have brought with me, if you would protect her." He started to quickly dump everything from the makeshift sack until he held a box in his hands. The Engravings on it were not something a normal person would recognize, only those who were around when every house used to hold magic would see the insignia for what it was.

"If I take her, there will be no revenge, I will raise her away from humanity, not even knowing who she is. Is that what you want?"

Gabriel sighs, "No revenge, Just keep her safe."

Walking over to Gabriel just as he is about to fall the dragon catches Raven in his claws. "Sleep now, Dreg shall take care of her now. You succeeded in your mission."

Gabriel closes his eyes with Dregs words being the last thing he hears.

Looking down at the bundle in his arms that still has yet to make a sound, Dreg decides against flying as the human child is weak and would probably perish on the way to his cave. Walking on his three legs over to the pile of items that had been in the sack he gathers it in his mouth and begins the long trek home.