Eavesdropper

*2 Years Later*

Standing at his post Xavier let his mind wander, he had a couple hours before rotation and then he could go back to collecting information. He had to be careful though, as his superiors namely General Abigor and King Damien himself were notorious for being ruthless if they even slightly suspected treachery.

Xavier felt restless, for two years he had trained to be a soldier. Every day told about the "threat" that this neighboring kingdom posed when the real threat came from inside their own kingdom. Every time he saw the King he felt nauseated, luckily as he was low on the food chain he did not have to see him often.

A couple months after he had arrived, he had met Kieran who told him that he was like a brother to Polaris. Without him he would have probably done something foolish that would have resulted in his death ages ago. He looked up to the older man, but that was not the case in the beginning. With Kieran being the Kings personal guard there were not a lot of instances for them to have private conversations, and then the few times they were able to it was not as if he could just walk up to the man and say, "Oh HI! By the way I know your adopted sister and am also part of the rebel movement. How is she doing by the way?"

He did not want to trust anyone, because one wrong move could end more than just his own life. So he watched and waited for Kieran to approach him and even then it took a letter from Polaris herself to convince him of Kieran's sincerity towards the movement. You do not just become the Kings personal guard by doing nothing.

Slowly he started to see Kieran as a brother type figure. He even respected him, he knew that some of the things that was required of his position would make a lesser man turn tail and run yet he stayed. He stayed so that even if blood stains his hands, many others would be saved.

Xavier hardly saw Michael and when he did he could sense a change in the boy he had grown up with. He never told him of the plans that Polaris had, and he hated to admit it, but he did not trust him anymore. He once brought his feelings to Kieran on one of their late night rendezvous and learned that his childhood friend was quickly climbing the ranks in his own way. Through violence.

He had heard many stories of how ruthless he had become... the women he himself had brought to the castle not caring what would happen to them and even participating in sickening acts with the "leftovers".

He did not want to believe that the boy who loved stories about knights saving a princess and the bad guys prevailing over evil had in fact turned dark himself. Though he saw that darkness every time he looked into his eyes, he was no longer Michael. How could the boy with an angelic name grow up to be a man shrouded in darkness?

Being brought out of his thoughts Xavier heard multiple sets of footsteps heading in his direction. There was not much on this side of the castle other than the Kings secondary office and a few empty rooms that he believed may have once been used for guests. Straightening his back and facing forward just in time Xavier saw from the corner of his eye the steps had belonged to King Damien, General Abigor, Kieran, and Michael.

He could not help but wonder why Michael was with them but he did not dare to move or ask, maybe Kieran would tell him later.

Not even blinking he waited until the four men entered the Kings office before releasing a breath he did not realize he had been holding. Even after two years he still could not be in the Kings presence without having to restrain his impulse to run the man through with his sword. Even knowing it would be an instant death sentence he could not help but think that it would be worth it if that man went down with him.

"....the two years is almost up and they have still not released the princess, are you sure she is even in that kingdom?" Xavier recognized the voice as General Abigor, and looked in the direction of the office. He could see that the door was cracked partially.