A Road less Traveled

Raven was a bundle of nerves. Night had just fallen and any minute they would leave to go somewhere new. She had always wished to escape the cave on top of the mountain, to see the world around her and not the same trees and rocks every day.

Now as she sits here in this room with its square smooth walls she only wished to fall asleep and wake back up at home. With Dreg sprawled across the cave floor his exhales heating the whole space. Aurora singing in her adjoining cave that was filled with vines and flowers making the whole place smell like a meadow in an everlasting summer.

She had only know Xavier for a couple hours when she decided to trek down the mountain with him, and that worried her. Even though he made her feel things she had never felt before, when he was not near her the only thing she felt was scared.

She had always wondered where she had come from, who her parents were, if they were alive.... Aurora and Dreg never told her, but from the lessons that she was forced to endure she felt like they knew more than they let on. Why else would she need to know dancing if she was only ever going to be around the two of them?

She was so deep in thought she did not hear the soft knock that sounded on the door. Xavier waited outside growing worried when there was no answer. He had been trying to give her time to sort her thoughts but if she was in danger or needed him he wanted to be there for her even when she didn't want him to.

"Raven, I'm coming in." Pushing the door open he was greeted with her back. She stood still in the middle of the room the only movement the slight flicker of her eyes.

"Raven?"

Her birth name on his lips brought her out of her thoughts. A pain rippling through her heart at the family she had never known. "I am Newt, I have always been Newt. Raven died the day my parents did."

Xavier could see the pain in her eyes. He knew how it felt to not have a mother and father to call his own. There were times as a child that thinking of them out in the world missing him was the only thing that kept him going.

"Newt I will not tell you everything will be alright. I will not force you to smile, or even talk about how you feel. I just want you to know that I am here if you do need me. You are on a path right now and sitting at the fork in the road. One route leads you back up that mountain to Dreg and your cave. The other is less traveled and new to you. There may be rocks and other trials along the way but if you want to take that road I will be right beside you. Hell even if you go back up that mountain I would want to follow you... that is if you let me." Xavier gave her a small crooked grin. Feeling bashful at his admittance.

Raven felt her heart swell with warmth at his words. They were clumsy, but they were just what she needed in that moment. "Xavier." He shivered as his name passed her lips. "I want to take the road less traveled, I want to continue going forward not back. I would also like it if you joined me." It was her turn to be bashful, a blush creeped up her neck dyeing her cheeks pink.

His smile grew almost becoming blindingly brilliant. "Then shall we go madam?" He wiggled his eyebrows holding his hand out to her.  For a brief moment he wondered if she would even take his hand as she had tried touching him the bare minimum.

Putting her hand in his they both felt the electricity buzz between their joined palms. Both wondering if the other felt it.

Xavier pulled her out of the room and towards the back door where Polaris waited. Raven squared her shoulders, looking Polaris in the eye. "Thank you for helping me, and I do not mean just today. I owe you my life, and one day I will pay this debt."

"You owe me nothing, as a child you should never have been put in the position you was in. I wish I could have done more... I wish I could do more now." Polaris shook her head before reaching out and pulling Raven into a hug.

Raven tensed she had read about hugs but did not know why she suddenly found herself being held.  Polaris made no move to release her and after a few moments she let her body relax somewhat but not completely. This week had been full of firsts.

She did not know Polaris that well but she knew she meant her no harm. Polaris pulled away but kept her hands on Ravens shoulders. " I cannot go with you, but I know that Xavier will keep you safe. If he does anything mean kick him in the balls."

Xavier's face turned first pale and then bright red. "I would never do anything bad to her!" He looked towards Raven  his eyes large with worry. He could not believe Polaris would even say something like that.

Raven and Polaris looked at each other and then burst into fits of laughter. "I" wheeze "know" giggle "you" giggle "wouldn't!" Polaris could hardly breath seeing how red his face was. She had never seen him even look at a girl twice.  Even as a child he kept himself somewhat separate from the other children so she couldnt help but tease him.

Her admission did not make him any less embarrassed. Instead he felt that at any minute he would spontaneously combust from embarrassment. He kept peeking at Raven who for the first time since they came here actually had a smile on her face.

Though he was embarrassed he was glad he could at least make her smile. To him he would do anything to make her smile.

"Alright alright let's get you guys on the road. You know where to go Xavier. I sent a letter ahead earlier today so she should be waiting for you." Everyone sobered at Polaris words and Xavier found himself only nodding.

They would be taking the longer route, but it should be safer. The key word being should.

As they grabbed the packs that Polaris had prepared for them Xavier was dragged to the side by Polaris. "You cannot let her fall into the Kings hands. I mean it Xavier, the prophesy about that girl is that she will be the one to bring the kingdoms to an era of peace. Her. If something is to happen to her.... I fear what will become of not just our kingdom but even the ones around us." She released the hold she had on his shoulder moving back towards Raven who was staring at them with questions in her eyes.

"Everything alright?" Ravens eyes widened as if she did not even mean to let the words slip past her lips.

"Just fine." Xavier forced a smile on his face as he once again offered her his hand. Polaris was the second person to tell him that Raven had a huge part to play in the future. He did not what that future held, but he would do whatever he could to keep her safe during it.