Epilogue

Damian sat on his throne excitedly waiting for them to bring Raven to him. His thoughts replacing Raven with Alina.

"Finally, we can be together. You and I against the world as it always should have been, my darling Alina." The few guards in attendance were worried for the King as he mumbled about the late Queen. Most had not been present when he had ascended to power, so they did not know of his betrayal or of his unrequited love.

Once Damian had sent out people to fetch Raven, he had immediately set many actions into play. He would not be able to marry her with a woman already taking the place he would offer her. So he killed his wife, after all she was worthless if she could not have given him an heir after all these years. Next he prepared her quarters; he would have only the best for his precious Alina. All of the foods she had once loved would be prepared for a banquet in her honor.

He was beside himself with happiness. Feeling as if he was a schoolboy waiting for his crush to walk in.

When the doors next opened though he was disappointed to see general Abigor walk in with a sour look upon his face.

"Where is she?" The words felt as if they belonged to someone else as they rolled off his tongue. He could see Abigor flinch as the question.

"Your Majesty. I sent five of my best men to bring her in. However, I have failed you. When they had not yet returned, I went to investigate. The church has been burned to the ground and all of the inhabitants either vacated or died..." The king swung his arm out a hidden dagger flying from his palm and smacking the General in the shoulder, sinking deep.

Though the pain was not light the General kept a straight face, knowing that his life depended upon it. One wrong move and the King would not think twice about ending his existence. "And my Alina, was she among those you suspect are dead? Where are the soldiers you sent? Why are they not here to tell me themselves?" Damian sneered his upper baring the teeth underneath.

"They are dead, their limbs were strewn about as if they were massacred." To this the King smiled, thinking that at least those that had failed him had gotten what they deserved. His smile quickly vanished though. "She was with a boy, tell me he perished."

General Abigor shook slightly knowing that the King would not handle the news he was about to receive lightly. "There was a letter left on the body of the captain I sent. It is addressed..." He took a shuttering breath staring at a spot of his blood as it fell on the floor. "to the Mad King."

Damian inhaled sharply at the moniker. Whoever had sent him this letter, was trying to piss him off.

"Give it to me." His voice was gruff, more so than usual as if he had just swallowed gravel.

The letter read:

Mad King,

You have searched for me for years when I was right below your nose. I did not want the throne, I just wanted to live. You sent these men for my life, and for that I took theirs. You have sat upon a seat that was not yours to sit upon for too many years. I would have kept living away from you, but you had to hurt others. That was your mistake. I will come for you now, and when I get there I will collect payment for all the death and destruction you wrought upon this kingdom. Enjoy using your head while it is still attached to your body.

Never yours,

Raven

Damians hands shook in anger. He re-read the letter once, then twice each word engraving on his very soul. He crumpled it up before standing on shaking legs. "I want her found, and this time...kill her." When he looked up it was as if all the joy in the world had faded away. There was ice in his gaze as he left the room and all that was present speechless.