You Shouldn't Have Returned

Arriving at the town Raven was in shock. She had never seen buildings before, only read of them. With Dreg being quite large, their cave could easily fit multiple of these dwellings within.

"How many people live in these buildings? Are they all families? Do you know them?"

Raven shot off question after question not giving Xavier even a moment to answer. He found it cute, but couldnt afford to be distracted. After all he was still a wanted man.

"As you saw my wounds when we were up in the mountain, I was attacked the last time I was here. I know a safe place for us to go but we must stay out of the soldiers sight." In his mind Xavier couldnt help but adding that he hoped it would be a safe place.

They circled around back alleys making slow progress towards their destination. It seemed that even after these past couple days the soldiers had not given up their search completely.

Raven stared at everything they passed, every item a wonder to her no matter how small and useless they seem to other people.

"Newt." Xaviers voice brought her out of her musings, not realizing that she had began to walk towards a small stand selling what looked like necklaces.

Xavier wished he could take her to every stall and show her everything she wanted to see. Now just wasn't the time. He needed to get them to Polaris and pray that she could find them somewhere to go. She had more connections than anyone he knew.

"I promise that when we are safe I will show you everything you want to look at." He surprised himself making that promise, but found the small smile that appeared on her face worth more than the words he had spoke.

They were nearing Polaris home, they were so close to being able to relax if only for a moment.

Just a few more steps.... they were so close...

Just as they were about to reach the door a group of 5 soldiers came around the corner. He didnt have much time to think and knew that if they saw his face they would recognize him. Some had went through training the same time he did while a couple were older and seemed to be from before the current kings rule.

So as to not draw attention he quickly whispered for Raven to follow his lead. He pushed her against the wall facing him, both their breaths mingling in the tight quarters. She was surprised but quickly guessed his intentions. She knew he needed to hide his face, but that still did not stop the blush that crept up into her cheeks.

Xavier could feel the soldiers behind him, every step they took bringing them closer to his back. If they were to recognize him now there would be no way he could escape.

He was sweating, feeling as if his heart my fly out of his chest with each second that passed.

"Hey, look at me." Ravens whisper was like a beacon of light. His attention snapping to meet her eyes. "It will be okay. Put your hands on the wall up near our faces, they wont recognize you. They are looking for a wounded man and that is something you are not."

Doing as she instructed he already felt like a weight had been lifted. He took a deep steadying breath and looked up to meet her eyes.

They were calm, reflecting the light like thousands of jewels. Once again he found himself short of breath, this time for a completely different reason. He stood there in a trance, not speaking or looking away. Every time he got close to her he felt like he had found a piece of himself that he did not know he was missing.

"Are we going to move now?" Her question caught him off guard. He did not know how long they had been standing there like that but the soldiers were nowhere to be found.

Scratching the back of his neck he moved away from her to check their surroundings a little better. Seeing that they were indeed alone they once again made their way towards Polaris' door.

They knocked twice both looking around as if at any second the soldiers would return.

After what felt like 100 years the door opened just a crack. Raven was shocked to see a pretty older girl with a scar on her face.

As the woman looked at her she saw as a look of surprise flash in her eyes.

In the span of a couple seconds the woman quickly pulled both her and Xavier inside, looked up and down the street and closed the door locking it firmly.

The woman was breathing hard. Staring at Raven as if she had seen a ghost.

Xavier was the first to break the tense silence. "Polaris... I had nowhere else to go. This is..."

Before he could even finish Polaris shot him a look that made the hair on his neck stand on end. "Xavier, you shouldn't have returned. Especially not with her. Do you know who it is that you brought into the Hornets nest? Who you might as well have served up on a platter. That girl," pointing her finger in Ravens direction, "is none other than the lost princess that the mad king has been looking for."

With those words Polaris felt weak, it had been many years but she still remembered their escape from the castle as if it was yesterday. She remembered the blood and carnage that was the price of getting this girl out of the castle and surrounding town.

If the king knew she was back he would stop at nothing to get to her. Quite possibly burning the whole town to the ground if that's what it took.

Raven stood there in shock, how could she be a lost princess. She was just a nobody.