The Predator and The Prey

Raven and Xavier arrived at the church without incident, or so they thought. Mother Agnes was ecstatic to see a boy she had raised as one of her own. She had prayed for him every night that he would be safe on whatever journey his life had in store for him.

She was older when she first too him in, and had not thought that she would even survive long enough to see him become a man. He had always helped with the other kids when Polaris was not round, his inquisitive mind and different way of thinking was refreshing for her old soul.

"My what a cute girl you brought. Remember to stay proper until you are married." Mother Agnes waggled her finger with a mischievous smile on her face. She loved the blush that crept up their young faces. She knew they were not quite in that relationship yet, but she would have to be blind to not see the tension between the two youngsters.

"Mother Agnes! That, I mean, it's not what you think. We are... we are not in that type of relationship yet." Xavier stumbled over his words and only blushed deeper at the use of the word yet that he had not meant to say aloud.

Raven stared between Xavier and Mother Agnes and felt a familial love. A love similar to how she had felt for Aurora and Dreg. She felt a twinge in her heart and hopes that they were safe... far from her and all the pain she would cause by being near them.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Mother Agnes, I am Newt." She used the name she had been given by Dreg. She did not know if she would ever call herself Raven, it felt like she was betraying Dreg each time she even thought of it.

Mother Agnes smiled even wider thinking of how pleasant the girl was to converse with. "Lets get you settled into some beds. I was told you will be leaving in a few days for a more permanent home. Let me at least make your stay here as pleasant as I can."

The room they were in was a large space with many beds lining the walls. There were less kids here than had been in previous years. Very few of the kids that Xavier had grew up with were still here. Many growing up and going out into the world themselves.  When he had left 2 years ago only the youngest 5 had not yet reached the age of 14. Out of those 5 the two boys, Jefferson and Bobby had left in hopes of avoiding being forced to become soldiers and Xavier had no idea where they were. Molly had been one of the girls that had entered the castle to never be seen again which caused pain in his heart as he thought of the girl who was raised as a sister. That left Ingrid and Mary the twin girls who had always loved the Princess stories. They would have died of happiness if they had met Raven when they were younger. A real life princess is right before them.

There were a few other younger children lounging around on beds or clustered in small groups. Xavier had been the oldest during his time here, but now Mary and Ingrid held that title.

"Xavierrrrr you brought a girl home, we have not seen you in years and you come back with a girl.  Who is she? Is she from around here?" Mary started firing off question after question.

"Are you going to marry her? Did you come to the church to get married?" Ingrid picked up the questions as soon as her sister let up.

"We did not come here to get married. Please settle down and lower your voices or you will draw attention to us. I will tell you why we are here if you can keep a secret." Xavier tried to placate their questioning stares. He knew he could not tell them everything as it could put them in danger, but he trusted them as he always had. Just as he had trusted all of the kids he had grew up with. That is until Michael ... thinking of that betrayal made him feel a twinge of pain in his heart. He hated that thinking of Michael made him worry if he could actually trust everyone else that had once had his undying loyalty and trust.

"You remember the Princess stories from when we were younger? You see, they were mostly real. There really is a Princess that the evil King wants, and me and that girl are trying to make sure he doesn't get her. It is very important that he does not find us so you have to keep it a secret that you saw us." Xavier could see the wheels turning in their minds as they digested the news that he had just laid before them.

Mary was the first to brighten up. "Does that mean that we will one day get to meet the Princess?"

"Oh I would love to meet a princess!" Ingrid was squealing in excitement. 

At that moment Mother Agnes returned to the room. "Alright everyone, it is time for lights out. I want everyone to get a goods night sleep and I will see you in the morning for breakfast and chores." There was a collective sound of groans and sighs.

Raven had been mainly quiet since they had arrived. These kids were like her, no parents, but they were still a family. She did not know what each of their circumstances are but she felt warm for the first time she had left Dreg and Aurora.

Several hours passed when Raven and Xavier was woke by screams. "Fire, the church is on fire!" "Help!" "NOOOOO!"

Looking around in the dark room, Raven could not make out much. Her heart started to beat wilder as she remembered where she was. If there was people in danger she had to go help them. She used her bare feet to feel across the cold floor towards where she remembered the door had been. Touching the door knob she was alarmed at how warm it was.

Xavier put his hand on her shoulder and bother pushed the door open together. They were met with chaos. Mother Agnes was directing the children to bring buckets of water to help extinguish the flames but as they put out one spot others raged with intensity. 

They both rushed forward to help not knowing how the fire had even began, only thinking of saving the place so that the children would not be without a home.

In the shadows a group of men watched the people rush around hoping to put the blazing fire out. A smile forming on their faces as their target made her entrance. Her hair the color of the flames danced as if they too were on fire.

There was a total of 5 of them, each one looking like a caveman instead of a soldier. Their hair shaggy and facial hair unshaven. They had been out searching the entire kingdom for the girl who was right in front of them, and with her they would secure their futures.

"We shouldn't keep a lady waiting." The one up front growled. He was a large man but had nothing in size comparison to the King and General. His beard was long and unkempt as if he never bothered to fool with it. He spat on the ground tobacco juices running down each strand of hair.

The rest of the group nodded. ready to move as soon as their leader gave the word. 

_____________________
I just realized this never published as it still showed up as a draft. I