CHAPTER FIFTEEN; CAROLINE'S SURPRISE PARTY

chapter fifteen
(the frost)

chapter fifteen(the frost)

☆★

           IT WAS Wednesday. The middle of another week for Jack, another five days of school where his friends ignored him and he spent his lunchtime either in the washrooms or walking to Klaus's mansion and then back to Mystic Falls High for something to do. Since Saturday, the day Klaus had helped Jack control his powers better, nothing had changed.

               Somehow he was actually, living, with the hybrid. Yet none of his said 'friends' had come to bring him home or 'save' him yet and to Jack, he felt abandoned, like they only included him before because they pitied him or something.

               It was lunch and Jack was spending it alone, reading a book at one of the tables. Before he knew what was happening Maxine slid into the seat in front of him, pulling his book out of his hands.

              "Jack," she said, smiling as a giddy child would. He stayed silent, trying his hardest to not reply and ask how she was. "Jack. I know you're not on good terms with everyone right now but Caroline's birthday is today" she said.

             Jack looked up at her and immediately yelled at himself for forgetting. The Forbes had taken him in at a young age when he had no one else and now here he was forgetting practically his sister's birthday.

              "Oh shit, yeah she's turning eighteen isn't she" he rhetorically asked.

               Max nodded. "And I know you haven't really been hanging out with us and all but we're throwing a surprise party for her tonight. Nothing big, just Elena, Matt, Bonnie, and I. But you should be there" she explained.

             Jack shook his head quickly, "I-I don't think that would be a good idea, she probably doesn't want me there" he replied grabbing his book back, only to find his page was gone.

             Max grabbed the book back, "Well why not? They love you, you're like family" she convinced.

              "Not lately it feels like. Ever since Klaus's it's like they don't even care about me" he admitted, picking at his nails. "I mean I get I screwed up, I do. But I just never imagined how easily they'd be done with me, not give me a chance to you know apologize, nothing".

               Max looked over at the group consisting of Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, Tyler, Matt, and Stefan. It was clear Stefan was listening in to their conversation. "They aren't done with you, In fact, they were the ones that sent me over here to ask you to come" she assured poorly.

               Jack sighed, "I doubt that. If they really wanted me there they'd come over here and invite me themselves. Now if you don't mind, I need to finish this book before lunch is over" he said attempting to get rid of her. He wanted so badly to kiss her right now. But something was different with her. She seemed occupied.