CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR; BAD NEWS

chapter forty-four
( the frost )

chapter forty-four ( the frost )

     JACK WAS perplexed. He was in the what he liked to call torture chamber of Klaus's mansion. Jaime had left nearly twenty minutes ago and now Jack was watching Klaus torture one of the new members of the brotherhood of the five, his face was slashed up and he was bloody. Yet Klaus hadn't been able to get much out of him and that only frustrated Jack.

       "You wanna take a turn? you look annoyed" Klaus offered.

         Jack, with his arms crossed, shook his head. "No, no, this is all you. Plus, I don't know that if I start if I'll be able to stop" he declined.

         Truthfully, he wouldn't mind testing out his powers but not on this guy, he hadn't done anything to Jack yet.

         Klaus shrugged before punching Connor, who was chained up to a piece of wood in the face. He spat, blood coming out of his mouth and landing on the clean wooden floors.

Klaus smirked and looked behind where Jack was standing, "Looks like I'll have to beef up the hybrid security detail" he said to nobody that Jack could see.

Stefan walked out of the shadows, coming from nowhere, Jack was surprised he hadn't seen him before. "I was gonna take him, but I figured you went through such trouble to truss him up in your red room of pain" he mocked.

        Klaus crossed his arms amused, "It's from the Inquisition. I thought it was a nice touch" he explained.

       Stefan looked at Jack and smiled, "Nice to see you, Jack" he said then getting back to Conner. "What'd you get out of him?" he asked.

      Jack nodded, "Not enough. He's mum about the Council fire and he's not saying anything about this greater evil we're all supposed to be shivering over. What brings you snooping?" Klaus questioned.

      Stefan shrugged, "Well, I can't say it in front of him. As I'm sure you've figured out, our friend here can't be compelled" he informed.

      Klaus turned to Connor, holding his head up, "You're full of mysteries, aren't you?" he said interested.

       Connor looked up slowly, he looked exhausted. "I told you, I don't know anything" he horribly lied.

       Klaus huffed in reply, "Thankfully, I know plenty" he said walking out of the room, "Shall we?" he asked gesturing for the two boys to follow. Jack glanced back at Conner and then walking outside of the room, Stefan stared at Conner before doing the same.

      Klaus shut the door to Connor's prison room and turned to Stefan, "So, what's with the home invasion?" he asked.

       Stefan looked at Jack and sighed, "Damon said you knew something about this guy. Now, I should have figured out that you were up to something when you healed Elena from the werewolf poison without asking for anything in return" he admitted.

         "I was feeling benevolent" Klaus poised smiling all giddy.

         Stefan scoffed, "You're never benevolent. I also came to see Jack" he added.

          Jack looked at him confused, "Me? why?" he questioned.

           Stefan glanced at Klaus and then looked at Jack, "So Elena found Maxine" he started.

           Jack's eyes widened, "Really? where was she?" he asked interested. He hadn't even gotten a text from her which was odd considering even after they broke up she would still text him asking how he was doing and asking how his day had went.

            "Dead" Stefan said sternly. "Damon found her on the side of the Wickery Bridge, her throat slit. She looked like she had been there for days" he explained without the slightest of sympathy for Jack.

            Jack's face fell. "Max is dead?" he questioned "Who-who did it?" he yelled.

             Stefan looked like he was watching everything Jack did, every little expression, his reaction. "We don't know. We were thinking you might have an idea" he admitted.

              Jack crossed his arms, "You think I did it don't you? well I didn't" he exclaimed.

              Stefan held his hands up in surrender, "We just want to figure out who's responsible" he claimed looking at Klaus, "And right now you two are the only ones we think could've done it" he accused.

            Klaus snickered, "Waste my time on her? Please she was a train wreck waiting to happen" he said with happiness in his voice.

             Jack glared at him, "A little respect maybe, Nik" he scowled.

              Klaus kept smiling, "You're kidding right? she made your life a living hell. She deserves whatever happened to her" he said.

              Jack bit his cheek, he knew exactly who did it. And he was standing right in front of him. "You did it didn't you?" he asked calmly, as calm as he could.

              Klaus's smile faltered for a second at Jack's accusation. "Would it really be a bad thing if I did" he asked rhetorically. "You're better off without that wrench" he said and looked at Stefan. "So what do you want from me?" he asked changing the topic.

           "Who is this guy? What's the Five?" Stefan asked.

              Jack rolled his eyes, "You two are crazy" he said walking away. "Just because she was a horrible person doesn't mean she deserved to die" he yelled walking out of the room.

          "God, teenagers and their tantrums" Klaus muttered, taking a seat on one of his chairs.

         "It's a good thing I have nothing to do today, except get answers out of you" Stefan assured sitting across from Klaus.

           Klaus huffed, "Fine. You might actually be useful in persuading my sister to cooperate" he agreed, looking at where Jack had been standing seconds ago. He had killed her, actually he had compelled her to kill herself that night at the Mikaelson ball. Of course she didn't do it until now, Klaus regretted nothing, she deserved it for all the shit she did to his brother. He shook his head, washing away his thoughts. "The brotherhood of the Five was a group of highly skilled vampire hunters. We crossed paths with them in the 12th century Italy" he began explaining.

A/N: bad chapter ik it's boring but i needed to post haha. hopefully the next chapter will be more interesting but yeah, Max is dead.

also wanted to give a shoutout to haydenxiv i'm obsessed with his book Publius and if you guys like drama I think you'll like it too.

anyways, thank you loves for reading, let me know how you've been, if this quarantine is taking as big of a toll on you guys as it is one me :/

love you all 💞💞