"I'm coming, wait for me." Froger

"freddie was a hungry young boy. a runaway, from anywhere he'd ever been. he was no stranger to the world. no stranger to the wind."

and hermes was right. there freddie was, hungry, hardly standing. the only money he had was for catching a bus to the next town; unless it had been robbed from him or he had bought a morsel to eat.

the wind blew in his face, cold. freddie sighed and slumped against the bus stop bench, pulling out a journal from his backpack with all of his belongings.

"any way the wind blows" he wrote, smirking the tiniest bit. he put the journal away, a bus pulling up.

****

"roger was the son of a muse. and you know how those muses are. sometimes they abandon you. and this poor boy, he wore his heart out on his sleeve. you might say he was naive to the ways of the world. but he had a way with words, and rhythm, and rhyme. and he sang just like a bird up on a line; and it ain't because i'm kind. but his mama was a friend of mine; and i liked to hear him sing. so i took him under my wing."

and there he stayed. until one day.

"come home with me." roger's hand was held out to the boy on the bench, both of them shivering.

"who are you?" freddie replied, seemingly unimpressed.

"the man whose gonna marry you. im roger."

freddie grabbed roger's hand, both of their hands mending together. as if they would forever be together.

"oh, im freddie."

"your name is like a melody." freddie would have blushed but he was already red from the cold.

"a singer? is that what you are?"

"i also play drums, guitar and the lyre-" freddie cut him off.

"a lyre and a player." roger smiled at the pun. "i've met too many men like you. now whose to say you wont be just like them?"

"i can make you feel alive. bring the world back into tune."

"show me then."

"what?" roger's hands were shaking even more.

"if you wanna take me home, show me the song."

and roger sang beautifully.

******

"its cold."

"i know, love." roger moved the candle closer to freddie's hands, still working on his song.

"maybe if you weren't so busy with that song, we could cuddle and get warmer. just a suggestion." freddie pouted. a playful smirk emerged on his lips however.

"maybe if john would just, i dont know, bring the spring and summer back?" roger shook his head. "its well already into the middle of summer, or at least the two seasons." roger continued scribbling words and notes onto his papers.

freddie looked out the window. "rog, theres a storm coming on."

"ignore it. ill finish the song." roger yelped, trying to focus.

"okay. i'll travel to the market to try and get some food, who knows how long the storm will last."

****

"little songbird, got your coin?" freddie stepped inside of the warm office within hadestown. "hades, why is the weather up there so cold?"

"do not address me as hades. so formal. brian instead." brian looked down at the contract between them, signing anything needed.