Chapter 10n

"DEE! COULD YOU NOT?"

"Not what?" he asked innocently. "It's either it comes out of my mouth or my butt!"

Mum walked into the dining room and saw Dee and I almost throw plates at each other. "Now what?!"

"Mum, Dee just burped out the garlic bread he heard for lunch."

"And you're noticing it now?" she asked casually.

"Mum! I said I have a really important friend coming over and I don't think he'll appreciate one of Dee's seven-wonders-of-the-world stenches."

"Wait, he'll?" Dad said as he poked his head out of the kitchen and into the dining room. "So, this friend of yours is a boy?"

I rolled my eyes and muttered a 'yes' before he could start lecturing me about bringing boys over.

"Dad, I said he was a friend!"

"Okay! Stop yelling and just set up the dishes!" Mum yelled. "And Darwin, let the girl breathe. She said it's just a friend."

Dad cussed silently and went back to the kitchen to bring out the dishes.

We ate our dinner in silence as everyone was anxiously waiting for the doorbell to ring. It was eight o'clock when I finally realized that Jayden wouldn't be coming.

All of us had finished our supper and placed our utensils in the dishwasher then went our separate ways. I decided to go up to my bedroom and listen to music while Mum, dad and Dee stayed downstairs watching the TV.

I wasn't in the mood to watch 'Meeting up with the Marsians' with them, like I always was, because Jayden didn't come. Especially after I tried my best and faced my fear by inviting him over.

Then, the doorbell rang.

I sat up swiftly and opened my bedroom door.

"I'll go get it," I heard mum say. After a few seconds, I heard the door creak open and a low voice speak.

I snuck all the way to the edge of the stairs and looked down at the door from a corner and saw Jayden standing by the door, both drained in sweat and slight anger.

"Is Jamie here?"

"Yeah! She's upstairs." Mum looked up the stairs and called out my name.

"Finally! It seems Jamie sent me the wrong address because I've been looking for the place for an hour now."

"Excuse that little goofball-"

"Mum! Come see what Mimi Marsian did to Missy!" Dee yelled.

"Just a minute Dee!" she turned to Jayden and moved aside. "You can come in. I'll go get Jamie."

I ran down the stairs immediately before mum could ever know I'd been staring at them the whole time. Jayden and I looked at each other and froze. Then mum automatically walked back to the living room.

"You idiot. You sent me the wrong address!" he scolded me with a soft quiet tone.

"I'm sorry about that," I whispered back.

"You seem to be sorry about many things. It's nothing I'm not already used to."

"Jamie, don't forget to close the door!" Mum yelled.

"Okay!" I answered and turned my attention back to Jayden. "Dinner is already over-"

"Great!"

"But... I could warm something up for you then."

"How about I leave and never come back?"

I looked at Jayden practically pleading for him not to go. I felt my hopes fade when he turned and held the doorknob. The one person I had to make friends with hates me and I couldn't make up for it. How was this already a disaster?

"Jamie?" Dad said from behind us surprising both Jayden and me. "Is this the friend you were talking about?"

I turned and smiled sheepishly at my father. "Yeah! He's Jayden."

Jayden turned slowly and put on a huge fake smile. He held out his hand and shook my dad's. "Nice to meet you, sir."

"Were you gonna leave just now without introducing yourself?"

"Sorry sir, but I've just been informed that dinner's already over so there's no need for me to stay any longer-"

"What, you only came for the food?"

Jayden muttered a quiet 'yes' and then shook his head. "No sir."

"Then, come in! I want to know more about Jamie's... friend."

I could tell by the way Jayden walked sloppily as he followed my dad into the living room, that he was already annoyed. He groaned too but tried to keep up the smile he had on.

Once we all got to the living room, everything was quiet, apart from the TV of course. Dee was smirking and grinning like a child--an ugly one at that--when he saw Jayden. I found that weird at first but then I remembered that he'd seen me kiss Jayden during the game.

He was about to end my whole life, wasn't he?

Dee jumped from where he sat and greeted Jayden with so much enthusiasm. "Hello!" he said as he took one of Jayden's hands from his huge black jacket's pockets and shook it. Jayden stared at him quietly and returned his hand to his pocket as soon as Dee was done. "I'm Dee, Jamie's brother."

So, the annoyance is hereditary? he murmured quietly. "I'm Jayden."

I looked at Jayden for a moment and wanted to laugh because he'd just insulted Dee, but he also insulted me so I didn't feel any better.

"Um...Jayden," mum called out. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

"Mum!" I scolded.

"Oh, I'm sure he does," Dee spat out, wiggling his eyebrows up and down at me.

"Yes. I do actually."

He does? A pang hit my chest, hard.

"It's Jamie."

Mum and Dee smiled widely, but Dad and I looked at Jayden with confusion.

"Since when?" we both asked in unison.

"Well, she's a friend... and she's a girl. I guess that makes her my girl friend."

Dad sighed in relief while Mum and Dee quickly frowned. I, on the other hand, had nothing to say. I was just surprised.

Having Jayden openly admit to me being his friend, even after avoiding him for most of the week, was a start. Which means that I had just made some progress without Bec's help! And it's all thanks to Ryan.

______________

Hello guy/girl friends!

Welcome to chap 10. Tune in tomorrow for the next two chapters! I'll see you there. And until then, vote, comment and feed the birds! THEY GET REALLY HUNGRY!

CIAO!