Chapter t2enty-9i9e

I SAT UP QUICK AND looked around, confused about what had just happened. I looked at the wall beside me and touched it. It felt real enough.

My eyes turned to my left where Riley, my roommate, was sitting. She was looking at me with a smile playing at her lips.

"Woah!" she said. "You're finally awake!"

"Oh shut up!" I replied jokingly.

"Yeah, I listened to you snore the whole day. I'm not shutting up."

I shook my head and got out of my small bed. My whole body felt sore and really sweaty. I stretched as I walked over to Riley and looked at whatever she was doing at her desk.

"What are you working on anyway?"

"The assignment our dumb lecturer gave us," she turned in her chair and looked at me. "We've been students for only two months and he thinks he can give us such a load! Argh!"

I shrugged and scratched my butt a bit, yawning as I felt the aftermath of my long nap. I walked over to the other side of the room and opened the small refrigerator in the kitchen area then bent down to take a carton of orange juice.

"Don't complain too much. You still have four to six more years of school left."

"With you as a roommate? Yippee!"

I rolled my eyes at her and opened the carton then drank from it. It tasted weird and different so I looked at the expiry date.

"Yo Riley! The OJ tastes like feet!"

"Oh yeah, it's been there for a while now," she replies. I barely even noticed that she'd left her seat and walked over to me and I was startled when she spoke. "How'd you even know how feet taste like?"

"Dee and I shared a sleeping bag when we were kids during a camping trip. And he isn't much of a chill sleeper."

Riley laughed and snatched the carton of orange juice then smelt it. Her face shrank and she threw it in the garbage. "I guess that runs in the family."

I smiled bitterly and looked down as I remembered saying that to Jayden.

"Oh no," Riley said with a sympathetic tone and dragged me to her bed which wasn't far. We both sat down and she hugged me. "You had that flashback dream about him again, didn't you?"

I nodded slowly and tried my best not to cry.

"You still can't contact him?"

"No. It's like he changed his number. Plus, he might be too busy to even speak to me."

Riley sighed and looked around for something on her bed. Then she stood up and went over to my side of the room and searched for something there too.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Looking for your phone," she answered simply.  "Didn't you say you had other friends? A girl named Bec and that Alex guy. I think you mentioned that he was Jayden's best friend."

I nodded and then immediately shook my head. Truth is, I really didn't want to speak to them knowing how successful they probably were. "Bec and I haven't spoken in months! And Alex disappeared-"

"Damn. Didn't you have any other friends?"

My eyes squinted as I tried my best to remember. "There was Violet. And Alex's cousin...Ryan... Oh! And Matt!"

"Matt's Jayden's brother, right?"

"Yeah, but he's in the military. I don't think he's allowed to receive calls right now."

Riley gave up and sat on my bed with a bounce, sighing. "It's really sad seeing you like this."

"Yeah."

I sighed and stood up from Riley's bed and dumped myself next to her, covering myself again with a blanket and drifting back to sleep.

"So, you're just going to head back to sleep?"

"Sleeping is the closest I have to seeing them again," I tried to say through the blanket. "They were right when they said that they wouldn't always be around for me."

I breathed deep and cried in my blankets, making sure that Riley couldn't see me.

I tried remembering the time I spent with Jayden and the others. The times Jayden and I went out on dates after our first one at the cinema. The times we were together. The happy fun times when he used to come over and make Mum, Dad, Dee and I laugh...

When graduation came up, Jayden said he'd drop out of school and leave for California to start off his own career as a musician. We had to break up because of it.

Bec majored in fashion design and moved to London while Alex inherited the Dimenti bakery and pizzeria after his parents retired. I don't really know if he and Bec are still together.

As for Violet, she's probably a professional gamer. I wouldn't be surprised. I'd also bet that Ryan's a physicist by now.

And me? I moved too, to New York.

Throughout senior year, I thought about what I wanted to be and decided on becoming an ear doctor so that I could help out people like Jayden; people who were depressed because of their hearing disability.

I don't even know why I wanted to be a journalist. In fact, I hate journalism now.

Fed up with feeling bad for myself, I stood up from the bed and grabbed a few clothes from my closet. I changed into them and dragged Riley along with me as I left the dorm room and walked all the way outside.

"We're not sitting in a tiny dorm room for a whole day! Let's hang out with the guys."

"But aren't Max and Quinn doing some sort of twin-thing-therapy? Link and Georgie are at work too..."

I laughed nervously and tried my best to hide the cunning smile I had on my face. "I also got a job there and I wasn't really planning on going today..."

"Job? At the gym?"

"Nah. But it's close to the gym. I was interviewed for a few jobs near there as a personal trainer, but I got hired at the basketball training centre for kids instead."

Riley nodded understandably and agreed to come with me. "Just as long as I get back to the dorm early and continue studying."

I nodded and got out my car keys from my pocket then stared at them happily.

A gift from me, since you're too afraid of motorcycles...Love, J.

Riley and I both entered the car and I started it up. I reversed and drove out of the parking lot towards the gym where all my other friends are.

Friends... I laughed inwardly at that word. Who knew I'd have more of those?

______________

Oopsie! You've reached the end of the story.

me: You like the story?
You: Yes we do!
me: You like the story?
You: Yes we do! Please come and tell us...please come and tell us...please come and tell us more!

(Sorry, kindergarten vibes were attacking me)

Actually, if you liked the story, don't leave yet! VOTE, COMMENT AND READ THE NEXT PART! (No, this chap was not an epilogue. The next one is.)

Happy new year btw! This chap is my new year's gift to y'all... Love, S.

CIAO!

Were you chillin for more stuff? leave lol :)