Chapter t2enty-4our

"STOP STOP STOP! WAIT! COULD we, like, stop... only for a second?" There's no way I can track the number of times I'd said this single sentence. Fortunately for me, Jayden had stopped the bike every time I did.

"Jay, we haven't even left the damn neighbourhood. At this rate, we'll be at your home by dawn."

"I'm sorry! I'm just scared."

Jayden sighed and looked forward at the road as he clenched the motorcycle's handles. With the big helmet on his head, I wasn't able to see his face clearly, but by his tone itself, he sounded pretty fed up with me.

"Get on..." he instructed. "and sit well this time."

I looked at the motorcycle dreadfully and approached it. My left leg swung over to the left side of the bike and I sat down.

"And I'll say this again; wear the helmet I gave you."

"But I can't see well through it-"

"Jamie, I'm the one on the driver's side. You can even sleep back there if you want."

I nodded hesitantly as I untied the helmet from the back of the motorcycle where it was dangling. It was big for my head but felt safe when I wore it.

After that, Jayden looked back at me, saw the helmet and nodded. "Hold on tight."

The motorcycle's engine roared and I trembled, pressing my head deep into Jayden's back. Shit, he smelt good.

The strong wind that blew against us made me feel cold and I shivered. I wasn't expecting the ride to be so annoyingly uncomfortable.

"So, you... uh... aren't afraid of bikes after...well, after the accident?"

"Weird way of making conversation, but, yes."

"And riding isn't scary to you?"

I could hear Jayden's quiet laughing and feel his shoulders move and relax. "Dante taught me well. He said that the biggest mistake a rider could ever do is be afraid of riding... and not wearing a helmet."

He said that last part with a bit of aggression so I could only guess his uncle died because of not wearing his helmet. My curiosity kicked in and I wanted to confirm this. "Is that...how he-"

"Yeah. He took his off and dumped it on my head. Then he told me to sit in the back and hold on tight. Next thing I know is that I was in a coma for a few weeks in the hospital and my uncle was just... gone."

Jayden breathed in deeply and groaned with frustration and I'm guessing my questions weren't helping him at all so I decided to stay quiet the rest of the way home.

There were very few people outside in our neighbourhood but most streetlights were still on. I checked the time on my phone and it was just barely nine o'clock. Mum and dad must be so worried about me.

Relieved that the motorcycle had finally stopped, I quickly took off the helmet and handed it back to Jayden. I breathed in long and hard after that because it felt like I was trapped in a rat-sized hole. Is this how cats feel when you dump hats on their heads?

"Thanks for the ride," I said softly to Jayden and then turned around to walk to my house.

He grabbed my hand before I could go and I stood still. I watched him take off the helmet from his head and ruffle up his hair back to its messy glory with his other hand. "So, about what I said earlier..."

Oh no...

"What about?" I asked, trying to play as dumb as a doornail but, of course, I hadn't forgotten about the fact that he'd told me he liked me.

I watched Jayden as he stood up from the bike and looked at me. His hand was still grasping mine and it squeezed slightly, making me tense. At the time, I bet I was sweating too.

My eyes widened when I felt his lips pressed against mine. It came without warning, so suddenly. If I could describe it, I'd say it was short and there was no tongue involved.

I gulped and almost choked when Jayden pulled back and looked into my eyes like he was eagerly waiting for a reaction. All I could do then was just stand still and remember that moment during the basketball game in summer.

"Jamie, I'm well aware that you like me too," he said quite confidently. "I'll lean in again then kiss you and if you don't kiss back, I'll know I was wrong."

True to his promise, Jayden made a second attempt at kissing me and I couldn't resist that. I closed my eyes and stepped closer to him, waiting for that cloud-like feeling to cover my lips again.

But then...

"Yeah, it's Jamie that's standing outside! And she's with Jayden!"

I opened my eyes and looked at Jayden who was still leaning in, but instead of kissing me, he tilted his neck to my left and his chin rested on my shoulder. Both of his arms were already wrapped around me and I wrapped mine around his torso.

Both of us pulled apart and tried to hide our blushing from Dee who was standing on the porch and watching us keenly.

"What were you two doing?" he asked cautiously with a cunning smirk playing at his lips.

Jayden crossed his arms over his chest and stared blankly at him. "I was giving her a goodbye hug, obviously."

Dee seemed to have believed that and I was grateful that Jayden had actually managed to pull that off.

He turned to me and smiled subtly as he walked off to his motorcycle.

"Fuck you by the way," he said and then rode off. I couldn't help but smile at how fake that insult sounded and I knew that he definitely did not mean it.

I tried to keep my cool and pretend like I hadn't just kissed the person I'd had a crush on. The anger I felt when Dee interrupted us couldn't even be explained.

I passed him by the door and caught mum behind it peeping out the window at Jayden as he left. I'm just glad dad wasn't here...

__________________

Can I just take a moment to faint? 'Cause this chapter is finally here!! WOW!

Thank you all so much for the support and feedback you've given me so far. Please vote and comment again if you'd like. I'm not forcing y'all.

Next chap coming sometime today, so wait for it.

Fun fact: I didn't say CIAO in the last chap.

CIAO!