Chapter s16teen

"DID YOU REALLY JUST-"

"Throw a meatball at you? Yes."

There was a short pause, awkward silence. "Why?!"

Bec shrugged and picked up another meatball from her plate but this time, she ate it up all while smiling slyly at Jayden. "Just 'cause."

I was waiting for Jayden to stand up and walk away from the table, but he just laughed, picked up the meatball and ate it. "Thanks."

I looked at Jayden and then at Bec, confused. "Wait, you're not, like, mad?"

Jayden laughed again and shook his head. "Nah. Why would I be?" He took another meatball from his plate and ate it calmly. "By the way, you're all playing this Saturday, right?"

"Yeah!" Alex replied enthusiastically which was an interesting contrast to his normal self. He never was that excited about anything. "Big game too. Against those dumb Cavalries of Serenity High. Those idiots can jump!"

"I heard the tallest player there is 'bout as tall as Mrs Berrythorn in high heels!"

Bec and I laughed at Jayden's comment. It was pretty accurate considering that all of us had to practically crack our necks to look up at her yet we were all above five-point-seven feet tall!

"So, you're coming to the game, right?" Bec asked Jayden and he looked at her with an expressionless face.

"Yeah, of course! I wouldn't miss it. I mean, Jamie invited me and I couldn't pass up an opportunity to see her miss almost every shot she throws-"

"Hey! I'll have you know I'm fucking good!" I screamed at Jayden. "The other time at practice was just a one-time thing! And you were watching me like a hawk so I got nervous."

Jayden held up his arms in surrender. "Okay. I didn't know you became Hulk when you're offended."

I shrank in my spot and flashbacked to the time me and Ryan had been arguing about which team would win during the game.

"Sorry, I just get overboard when it comes to basketball."

Alex scoffed. "Overbo-" He jumped up slightly and covered his mouth like he was preventing himself from screaming. He bit into his lip and smiled at me and when I saw Bec's eyes on him, I knew she'd kicked him under the table. She shook her head subtly and whispered something to him. After that, they both stood up.

"We have to go."

"Go?"

"Yeah, Alex and I remembered we have to do something somewhere sometime soon. Bye!"

Bec started to walk off and dragged Alex along with her. Alex kept his eyes on us like he was being kidnapped, begging us to help him. He clearly didn't want to leave.

He pulled back long enough to ask Jayden to hang out with him after school. Jayden seemed happy about it. I'm sure he was just happy that he had something to do other than sit and stare at people practising. I've sat on those bleacher benches before and they aren't exactly comfortable. How Jayden sits on them every day and even sleeps occasionally is beyond my comprehension.

"So, you're really going to come see us play?" I asked.

"No. I'll just be sitting alone by myself in the middle of the basketball court waiting for you guys to come trample all over me."

I shook my head at him, as I noticed his sarcasm, and at myself for asking him a question he'd already answered more than once.

"Jamie, I'll be there! Don't worry."

I looked at the ground and felt myself blush. True, I'd worried about him not coming and at that very moment, I felt relieved, just like on that day he told me I was his friend.

"The three of us, plus Alex's cousin, usually sleep at Alex's place when his parents are still at work. You could come join us if you'd like but let me warn you, Alex's cousin, Ryan, is basically the male version of Bec-"

"So, Alex is dating his cousin?"

I laughed. "More or less."

Jayden laughed too, standing up with his tray in his hand. I barely even ate my food, but lunchtime was basically over in, like, a minute. We both walked over to the trash bin and dumped any leftovers then placed our trays on the tray rack at the exit of the cafeteria.

"Thanks."

My heart skipped a beat when I heard Jayden say that. I looked at him as he stared at the ground and smiled. I couldn't help but stare. It's like he was the only person in the world and he didn't even know it. He was just...beautiful.

Gee, Jamie, get a grip! It's his eyes that are making you feel like this. And his hair. And his smile. And his-

Jayden looked at me just then and I gazed beyond him at the lockers on his left side. I gulped inwardly hoping he didn't catch me staring. He always decided to look at me whenever I stared. How annoying!

"Yeah! You're welcome!" I said eventually. "For what exactly?"

"For the invite to the game, the sleepover, lunch...I enjoyed myself. Maybe I'll come to your place some time too."

"Yeah, sure!"

And just as I finished talking, the bell rang.

Jayden and I started to rush off to our next class before any teacher could find us lurking in the halls. Gosh, I hated being late.

Both of us came to a stop when we realized we were heading to different classes.

"I guess this is it."

"Bye," he replied. "And don't stare at other people in class too Jay."

I choked on air immediately and watched him run off with a huge grin on his dumb face. I wasn't even sure if I choked because he did notice I was staring or because he called me Jay for the first time...

____________

AHEM!

I'm sorry but this is where it ends. The chapter, I mean.

So, what do you think about this? Should I do a Jayden POV?? SIKE! I'm never doing a Jayden POV. Maybe, after I'm done with the book.

And for those who may complain that both Jamie's and Jayden's nicknames are Jay, well, too bad. (I'm sorry) That's why I have Jayden refuse to be called Jay.

Now, vote, comment and ring those Christmas bells! Christmas is in a DAY! (YAY!)

Otherwise, I'll see ya.

CIAO-ho ho ho