Chapter Three

Tony slides his sunglasses over his eyes as he walks into the former Stark Tower, now Avenger tower, communal kitchen where Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner are talking together. The Avengers had all come back for the holidays after they all left following the battle of New York. Bruce was the only one that stayed with Tony. But one by one, since Halloween they've all been returning, the Shield twinsies first, then Thor, then Steve. And now they get to have their first holiday season together. Tony takes a breath and slaps his hands together to grab Bruce and Steve's attention.

"Put on your coats, we're taking a road trip," Tony tells them, both men glance at him.

"What?"

"We're going to pick out a tree for some orphans" Tony answers, Bruce and Steve give him a weird look, surprised by the sudden sense of charity from him.

"Why?" Bruce asks.

"Because....we're attending a party for them and the tree is a gift" Steve and Bruce share a look before looking at Tony.

"And you were going to tell us....?" Steve asks.

"Now" Tony answers sheepishly. "Look, I only asked this...Christmas bauble to arrange it like a week ago...I wanted to make sure she had it handled before I told you guys"

"Christmas bauble?" Bruce asks with a small smile.

"Miss Christmas" Tony answers. "She likes...Christmas"

"Yeah, we would never have guessed" Steve comments.

"After what happened with Loki" Tony starts. "She thought, and Pepper agrees, that it would look good if the Avengers were seen in a more...charitable light" he explains. "Starting with the tree and stuff, and then us attending a party thrown for them"

"I don't know if me going to a party is a good idea" Bruce admits quietly. "All those excitable children...flashing lights"

"We won't make you go" Steve assures him. "If you feel like you can't do it, then you don't have to. But I think it would be good for you" Bruce frowns at him in question, Steve shrugs a little. There is nothing he can say to get Bruce to change his mind, Bruce has to come to that decision himself.

"At least come pick out a tree" Tony states. "It's for the kiddies" Bruce sighs and nods a little.

"Okay, that I can do" Bruce agrees.

...............

Neva is stood waiting for them, her hands tucked into her pockets as she smiles watching a family picking out their own tree, she's donned gloves and a scarf and a hat, all in red and white, adding to her whole Christmas image she has. There is even a green bell hanging from the pompom on her hat. Steve, Tony, and Bruce approach her from the car park. Bruce can't take his eyes off her. She is the definition of Christmas. Down to her boot laces that even look like candy canes and the badges on her bag that are all winter based. He hasn't even seen her face yet. But he just feels like he is going to like her. She has an aura about her. Steve cocks his head looking over Neva, he takes a breath and looks at Tony.

"She...." Steve starts and cocks his head.

"Looks like Christmas?" Tony asks. "Yeah, she does, you'll get used to it" Tony pats his shoulder and moves on ahead slightly. "Miss Christmas" Tony teases in greeting, Neva rolls her eyes a little but smiles as she turns to face them, the bell on her hat ringing away as she does. "Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner" Tony offers motioning to the two men. "This is Miss Christmas"

"Neva St. North" she corrects him. "Not Miss Christmas" she shoots Tony a look, he shrugs back at her in response. "It's nice to meet you both"

"And you" Steve offers. Bruce nods in agreement. "Thanks for letting us tag along"

"Oh, I didn't even know Mr. Stark was bringing friends" Neva admits.

"I think friends is a bit of a stretch" Bruce mumbles, she smiles back at him with a small laugh.

"Hey" Tony scolds. "I let you all live in my tower, feed you all...you are all basically my pets" Neva laughs watching them, Bruce watching her face light up with humor, her cheeks all rosy and soft. Something collides with the back of Neva's legs and she raises an eyebrow before she turns to face the....collision object, a small girl is pushing herself to her feet. She lifts her eyes to meet Neva's.

"Oh," The child mumbles. "I'm sorry," she tells Neva. Neva smiles though and crouches to eye level.

"Are you alright?" she asks softly, the girl nods and blushes. Neva reaches into her pocket and wiggles her fingers, a handful of candy canes appearing between her fingers, she pulls them out of her pocket and holds them out to the girl. "Would these make you feel better?" the girl nods, surer now as she takes the candy from her. "Why were you running? And where is your mother...or father?" The girl motions behind her where a woman is stood with a tri-stroller, filled with toddlers, the handles heavy with shopping bags. Neva appears thoughtful for a moment before looking back at the girl. "If you could have one thing for Christmas?" Neva asks her. "What would it be?" the girl appears thoughtful before smiling.

"Snow" she answers. "I want it to snow" Neva raises an eyebrow and then touches her own nose, she wiggles her nose and winks.

"Well...I think...I think I feel a flurry coming on" she points up at the sky and the girl follows her eyes as it starts to snow. The girl squeals happily and runs to tell her mother, Neva stands and smiles watching her.

"How did you do that? How did you know that?" Steve asks her, Neva turns to him and smirks.

"A slight change in the temperature" she motions around her. "And this magical little thing I like to call the weather channel" she teases, Bruce smirks as Steve looks down embarrassed. She's lying but it's believable, she can get away using her powers more in the winter than she can in the summer, they are less obvious when snow is already predicted. "Hence the scarf and hat" she adds with a smile. "I came prepared" she shrugs a little. "Shall we find those children a tree?" she asks them as she nods to the trees.