Chapter Nine

The tv plays on the wall in the communal living room of the tower, watching from the couch are the Avengers. Eyes glued to the screen as they watch a news report about a fire. At the orphanage they'd help. No one is hurt, thankfully, but the building is destroyed. The children's Christmas is destroyed.

"One day before Christmas" Clint states sadly. "That's very bad luck"

"Those kids will be devastated" Steve offers.

"And Neva" Bruce adds. "She worked really hard"

"I see you've seen the news" the whole room turns to find Neva stood behind them. She looks different. Dressed down kind of. And barefoot despite the freezing temperature outside. She steps closer to them, her eyes watch the news story on the tv before she is looking away from it.

"Neva" Steve greets, she tries to smile but after the news of the fire, she's not really feeling it. "What are you doing here?"

"I need your help" She admits. "They" she nods to the tv. "Need your help"

"Okay" Steve assures her. "Whatever you need" she nods a little.

"I think we can fix it" She offers.

"Fix what?" Tony asks her.

"Christmas of course" she answers and smirks at them. "We have to fix this for them, but I can't do it without your help"

"What are you suggesting?" Steve asks. "That we somehow repair the damage, replace everything destroyed, and get it all ready for Christmas day, which is tomorrow"

"Yes," she answers. "That is exactly what I suggest" she spins her staff in her hand. "If Santa can deliver presents to every house across the entire world in one night, we can do one building"

"Except that Santa isn't real" Tony argues. "He's not real, Bauble" he offers softer. Neva steps closer to him and smirks.

"Yes, Tony, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist" She argues, standing firm with her belief, she knows her father is real. "How dreary would the world be if there were no Santa Claus" Bruce smiles softly. "And, of course, he's my father so..."

"I'm sorry, what?" Tony asks, she shrugs and smiles at him.

"My dad is Santa" She draws out slowly for him. Tony starts laughing, Clint and Bruce both shoot him a look to stop.

"Think about it" Clint scolds. "All the things that don't make sense"

"Come on this is ridiculous!" Natasha counters, and then they're all arguing. Bruce and Neva share a look, he shrugs a little. She sighs and looks around.

"Screw it" Neva grumbles and then heads back out the balcony doors. The Avengers follow after her, arguing about the existence of Santa and Neva being....enhanced. She leaps up onto the balcony and turns to face them, nimble and agile on her feet. Bruce steps closer with Steve intending on pulling her down, she shoots them both a look. "Let's start with the simple stuff" she gives them all a look and then lets herself fall back off the railing, Bruce runs over to peer over the edge but she rises on the wind, hovering in the air. She rises up and shrugs watching them all stare at her. "Enhanced enough for you to believe me about Santa?" she asks as her toes touch down on the balcony, she then drops down next to Bruce.

"Being enhanced and Santa being real, are two different things" Tony points out.

"Look, I don't care if you believe or not" Neva snaps and then takes a deep breath. "It doesn't matter, all that matters is that we help those children, if we save their Christmas"

"She's right" Steve agrees. "We can argue about the existence of Father Christmas after we fix what happened" he turns to Neva. "Do you think it possible to replace those decorations, the presents?" she nods.

"Yes, but..." she sighs. "It'll take all of us, and we'll need to go to the workshop" She pulls a snow globe from her satchel. "And you are all going to have to trust me" the Avengers share a look.

"Can we discuss this?" Steve asks her. "Fifteen minutes?" She nods.

"But...try and hurry...." She answers. Steve nods, he understands that this isn't about them, it's about the children, and they know they'll help, but they need to discuss how to feel about Neva. They head inside, Bruce remains with Neva a moment, alone. She lets out a breath and turns to lean on the railing. Bruce leans next to her.

"Are you alright?" he asks her softly, she glances at him and shrugs.

"It's Christmas" she answers. "And it's ruined"

"Not yet, it's not" He counters, she lets out a breath and leans against his arm, he looks down at her as she snuggles closer to him. He smiles softly. Since their impromptu ice skating lesson they've spoken on the phone a few times, met for coffee once, and he likes her. He likes her energy. And she likes that she finally has someone to talk to about who she is. And he's kind. And smart. And compassionate.

A/N - SO I WAS THINKING OF DOING A SCENE WHERE NEVA ACTUALLY BECOMES THE GUARDIAN OF HEROS. TO ME THAT WOULD INCLUDE HER GAINING POWERS TO DO WITH HEROISM. LIKE THE MIM GIVES HER POWERS TO AID HER. ANY OPINIONS ON WHAT SHE WOULD GET???