Epilogue

Neva leans on the railing that overlooks New York, it's New Year, and inside a party rages, but she just wanted some air, to feel the crisp air on her skin as the weather turns. She lets out a breath and closes her eyes feeling the snap at her skin. The last week has been the best week of her life, and as cliché as that it is, it is true. She and Bruce have spent time together, bonding, finding out more and more about one another. Both falling more and more in love with one another. Everything she is, calls to him. Bruce touches the small of her back before he leans at her side, he holds out the glass in his hand and she takes it from him with a smile. Fireworks light up the sky and Neva lets out a small laugh as her eyes shine.

"I love and hate this night" she admits, Bruce frowns. "It is the end of winter" she holds out her hand and wiggles her fingers, snowflakes fall from her fingertips. "No more Christmas" he gives her a sad smile.

"I feel like a part of you just died" he comments, she laughs and nods.

"I guess it did" she agrees. "But it resurrects every year...I just have to be patient and wait for it to come around again" he strokes her cheek and then leans closer, she smiles and closes her eyes.

"Miserable End of Christmas, Neva" Bruce tells her before leaning closer to kiss her, she closes her eyes and kisses him back, her arm wrapping around his neck.

"It's not so miserable this year" she whispers warmly. "I have friends...I met you...I fell in love" he nudges her nose. "It's hard to be sad about that"

"You just told me you love me" he points out.

"I never said I fell in love with you" she teases, he laughs and pulls her closer to him. "I've never felt this way about anyone before" she admits. "I'm a little scared" he strokes her back. "I don't know what I'm doing..."

"You think I do?" he asks her. "Neva, every moment I am with you I question everything because I have no idea how to be...." he shakes his head. "What I am....what I can do...I worry that every time I touch you I might hurt you, that something might happen and that I might lose you...I can't promise you a whole lot, but I can promise that I will look after you to the best of my abilities" he tells her. "I love you too, and I will do this step by step with you...we'll figure it out together" he holds their hands between them. She nods and smiles at him. "So...What will you do now?" he asks, she shrugs and sighs.

"Well, usually I would....retreat to my father's workshop and..begin working for next year" he glances at her.

"Usually?" he asks her, she smirks and leans into his hold.

"Nothing usually kept me here" She answers and looks up at him. "Bruce" she starts. "I don't want to disappear for a year," she tells him. "I want to stay here" she admits. "I want to do more than just be there for Christmas for a few children" his eyes soften. "Seeing what you and the others did for New York, seeing what being part of a team can be like...I want that, and that's not going to happen if I hide away" Above them, the moon shifts its position. Seemingly falling into place, shining down on Neva. "I still have a lot to figure out" she admits. "About how I feel about being.....out there and using my powers...I've never been open with them before" he nods softly. "But I want to be brave enough..."

"No matter what you decide" he takes her hand. "I will be here" he assures her, she smiles warmly at him.

..............

In the North Pole, North watches as the moonlight hovers over the ornate symbol on the floor. The symbol rises out of the ground revealing a large gem at the head of a pillar. The moon's light suddenly refracts through the gem casting light all over the chamber. Tooth, Jackie, Bunny, and Sandy all shift closer, just as interested as North in the gem.

"He's choosing a new Guardian." Jackie points out as she begins to smile.

"I wonder who it's gonna be?" Tooth adds but with a look that reveals she, just as North, knows who it is going to be. The Guardians all share a look, North nods a little. They've all been waiting for this moment for a very long time. A bright flash, a rush of wind, and a figure resolves over the central pillar: slight, female, long blonde hair, bearing a familiar staff like wand.

"Neva" North offers. The gem suddenly flashes again, changing color, turning the brightest of blues.

"What does that mean?" Bunny asks. "It's never done that before!"

"She's a new type of Guardian" North translates slightly. "It's time for something new" he looks up at the moon and nods. "A Guardian of Heroes"

"Rather fitting for a new Avenger" Jackie agrees as she leans into North's side.

"She'll be alone" Tooth offers sadly. "The only Guardian of Heroes"

"Just because she is something new doesn't mean she isn't one of us" North offers. "Do you not think that children would believe in a Guardian of heroes as much as us?" he asks them. "Someone to protect and look after those that save their world....to believe in a figure that protects the protectors." Jackie smiles and nods as she looks up at North.

"She's all grown up" she whispers sadly, North looks down at her. "She doesn't need us anymore" she adds, North smiles and touches her cheek.

"She will always need us" he argues warmly and then leans closer to kiss her. Jackie smiles against his lips realizing that he is right. Neva is their daughter, and they will always be here.

..........

Bruce leans an arm again the railing, Neva leaning neatly into his side, his arm around her waist. He smiles, really, truly smiles. He is happy. For the first time in a very long time he feels at peace, at home, and it is all down to the woman at his side. He kisses her cheek and she chuckles slightly.

"Let it snow" he whispers to her, she glances at him and then smiles. Above them, a small flurry of snowflakes begins to fall around them. Bruce chuckles softly and holds out his hand to catch them. Her eyes remain on his face as he lights up. Her fingers stroke his cheek, he leans into her hand.