Chapter Eight

Bruce is elected to stay behind and talk to Neva.. once all the children go home. Once the Avengers all leave. Bruce, Neva, her yetis and elves are all that are left. Tony wanted to just confront her there and then but Steve thought a friendly and safe figure to just talk to her first. Just to feel the ground. A softer touch to maybe pull out the truth. He isn't exactly on board with this, she's clearly not in the business of making trouble, or hurting people, they can all see that. Whatever she is, whatever she is here for, it's not violent. They can all agree on that. Neva sets a tray of the empty mugs on the counter. Bruce takes a deep breath and moves to her.

"Do you want something warm?" she asks.

"Sure" he answers softly.

"I assume you are here as there spokes person?" she asks him.

"Yeah, Tony seems to think that you are....unique" Bruce offers as he sits at her counter, she sets a mug of something warm and chocolatey.

"I heard" she states, Bruce frowns at her, she shrugs a little in response.

"So he's right?" Bruce asks her. "You're not...normal"

"Normal is a matter of perspective, Bruce, it's not so black and white" she argues. "For my family, I am completely normal, to you and your.....comrades, no, I am not"

"Are you human?" he counters, she stares at him before sighing.

"As you define it....no" she admits. "I am not human" he stares back at her, she looks down and away from him, keeping her hands busy with the clean up.

"So...so what are you?"

"That's a very complex question" She mumbles and then turns away. He grabs her hand to stop her, her skin a little cool to the touch, he looks down at his own hand as his fingers brush over the back of hers. She turns back to face him.

"I'm not going to judge you, Neva" he assures her. "What right do I have to do that to anyone?" she sighs a little and then nods turning back towards him.

"I'm a Guardian" she answers.

"A Guardian?" he asks, she nods.

"And I suppose we are a subclass of humans" She offers. "Most do start off as humans, then chosen for a higher calling, we become Guardians"

"Most of you?" he asks. "Not all of you?"

"No" she answers and shakes her head. "I am the first and only that was born of two Guardians....I was born a Guardian, not made, not....chosen"

"To who?" he asks her, she takes a breath and then shakes her head.

"No, you will laugh" She argues.

"No" he stops her softly. "I won't" She sighs and closes her eyes before she hangs her head. "I won't" he repeats.

"My father is known as....Father Christmas" Bruce starts to smirk, she shoots him a look because she knows he is about to laugh.

"Come on" he starts. "You can tell me the truth"

"I am" She argues firmly.

"What?" he states, sensing that she is not actually lying to him, that she is standing here telling him that Santa Claus is real.

"My father is Santa" She adds with a nods. "And...my mother, well....She's Jack Frost"

"Jack....Jack Frost?" He asks her slowly, she hums and nods.

"Well...Jackie Frost but...stories and stuff get changed" she rambles a little and then realises. "You can't tell them" She begs of him, Bruce softens. "There are two outcomes to you telling the others; 1. they want to put me in some hole and experiment on me, or 2. they try and kill me"

"No" he stops her. "No, they wouldn't do that" she gives him a look.

"It's not just the Avengers though, is it?" she asks him. "You know better than anyone just how far the government will go"

"Then..." he starts and takes a breath. "Then I won't let them" he assures her, she searches his eyes.

"Why would you do that?" she asks him quietly. He shrugs.

"Because I've seen what you do" he answers. "I've seen the smiles and the hope.....it should be protected not hidden away, it's worth fighting for" She smiles at him, her eyes misting slightly at the sentiment. "So the yetis and the elves...." he starts, she smirks.

"Real" she assures him.

"North Pole?" he asks her, she chuckles and nods.

"Yeah, so real" she answers and then sobers slightly. "I've never told anyone before" she admits. "I've just....never had anyone to tell" Bruce holds onto her hand.

"I won't tell them" he admits, she cocks her head. "Not yet anyway" He adds. "It should come from you, and I'll be there, fighting your corner when you need me to be" She smiles warmly at him.

"Okay, now that you know...." she starts. "Do you ice skate?" she asks him, he frowns at her and shakes his head.

"Urm no...never have" she clutches to his hand and chuckles.

"Well, then I think it is well overdue that you learn" she teases, Bruce actually looks mildly concerned. 

............

Neva leads Bruce to the roof of her building and turns to face him, a smile on her face as she motions around them, her staff in her hand.

"Right here" she tells him, he frowns at her.

"But there's no ice" he points out, Neva smirks and sets the tip of her staff to the roof, ice spreads out from the tip, Bruce slides a little when it flows under his feet, Neva grabs his hand with her free one, holding on tightly to stop him sliding away. Bruce chuckles and smiles looking down. He then realises. "Mother is Jack Frost" he states, she nods softly. She taps his shoes with her staff and ice skates form. They share a look.

"It's easy" she whispers as she sets her staff down before taking his hands in hers. "Just....step with me" she slides backward and he follows, less inclined for the ice than her, but he does move, his fingers grasping to her wrists.

"What if I fall?" he asks.

"Falling ain't so bad, it's the getting up again that matters" she offers, they share a look, he smiles and nods letting her guide him around the ice. "See, look at that" she teases. "Natural"