Chapter Ten

Bruce stays with Neva whilst the others make their choice, he is afraid that talking with them, arguing with them, might expose the feelings he is starting to understand, that he has for her. And he doesn't need the teasing, or the warnings, or the...worry from them. He can already see all sides of an argument as to why feeling for her is both good and bad. He's been through them enough in his own head since meeting her. Since he realized that he likes her like that. And he could do so much worse than someone that enjoys life. He needs someone like that. Someone to show him the lighter side of everything around him. He glances down at Neva as she takes a deep breath, she's still leaning against his arm. They both look around when Steve and the others return. Steve steps closer and nods, letting Neva know that they've decided to like her, Bruce touches Neva's arm and she relaxes only slightly, they might change their minds when they realize she is being completely honest with them. She knows how these things work, she's seen it enough over the years.

"Alright, Bauble, what's our next move?" Tony asks her, Neva holds up the snow globe and smirks.

"North Pole" she breaths onto the glass before throwing it. A portal opens in the center of the room.

"Oh my..." Tony states surprised. Neva glances at him. The two of them sharing a look, she smirks and shrugs.

"Everyone through" she commands and nods to the portal. Natasha and Clint share a look before they are both first through, Steve and Thor close behind them, Bruce touches Neva's arm before he then too steps through. Tony takes a deep breath and then nods to himself before he joins them. Neva smiles. Feeling a little better about this now she has them all on board, before she is the last through, the portal closing behind her. They find themselves just outside of the workshop. A few yetis turn to see them, some dropping their tools when they notice the humans at the North Pole. "I know," Neva tells the yetis. "But it's an emergency"

...........

Clint lights up inside of the workshop. And it is something magical. There are toys flying around. Yetis hard at work. Elves running around. Natasha moves to Clint's side.

"This is by far the coolest place I've been," Natasha tells Clint who glances at her.

"Wish the kids could see this" he whispers to her, she gives him a sad smile and nods in agreement. "They won't believe me when I tell them"

"What's with the glowy globe?" Tony asks motioning to the globe in the center of the room, Neva glances at it and then to Tony.

"Each light is a child" she answers. "A child that believes in Santa" Tony nods a little, still skeptical about the whole Father Christmas thing.

"What is this?" North states walking into the main room. "Noise of humans at the Pole?" he looks around and then spots the Avengers stood behind Neva. Neva waves a little. "So it's true" He comments.

"He's Russian?" Natasha asks.

"He is" Neva agrees. "Was....hard to determine nowadays"

"Neva" North warns approaching her. "You brought humans to the Pole?"

"I have a very good reason to" she argues softly, swinging her arms slightly before tucking them behind her back. "The orphanage burned down, all the toys are gone, all the decorations gone, I brought them here to help rebuild what was lost"

"It is Christmas Eve" North complains. "I do not have to time to help, I do not have the time for...." he pauses and realizes. "Children" he finishes sadly, he looks at Neva who smiles softly and patiently at him.

"So we call in reinforcements" she offers. "We have friends we can call on. You can concentrate on Christmas and we'll handle the orphanage. I would do it myself, but I spend all year working on those gifts, and I am not you, I need the time, and I don't have it now" North glances down at her. "We agreed that I would be in charge of these children for Christmas, which means you will not have made allowances for them, I need to do this, or they will not have anything tomorrow" He sighs but nods.

"Very well" he agrees. "Call on them" he motions to the console behind him.

"Wait, what?" Neva asks with a smile. "I've never gotten to call them before"

"I think you are old enough now" North offers, she laughs and then scoffs.

"I have been old enough for many years" she counters, they share a look, he shrugs a little as he folds his arms over his chest. He nods to the device and then smiles. She bites her lip and moves to the console in front of the map, a huge handle trigger mechanism waiting for her.

"What's happening?" Steve asks, North looks at him and smirks.

"She is calling the other Guardians" North answers as Neva twists the handle and then pushes it into the console. All around the map, the Northern Lights appear and then flitter off into the sky.

"Wow" Thor breaths watching them go. "I heard stories but...never believed I would see it with my own eyes" he admits. Neva bounces where she stands, vibrating with excitement. Bruce can't help but smile seeing the joy on her face. This is what makes her happy. Christmas and wonder make her happy. And it makes her look so much younger. North is watching Neva too, he and Jack have known for a while what her core will be, they are just waiting for it to be confirmed by Man In The Moon. When he sees she is ready, he will let her know.

"What now?" Tony asks.

"Now, I shall clear you a space in the workshop, and you can get started" North offers and shares a look with Neva, she nods softly. "And when the others arrive, I shall send them to you"

A/N - I AM THINKING OF REACHING 15 CHAPTERS, ON THE CHRISTMAS SIDE OF THINGS. ENDING WITH NEW YEAR. AND THEN THE REST OF THE MCU I WILL PUT IN A SIDE BOOK, SO IF YOU JUST WANT TO READ THE CHRISTMAS STUFF YOU CAN. PLUS WHEN SHE BECOMES OFFICIALLY THE GUARDIAN OF HEROS IT WOULD BE A NICE PLACE TO START THE NEXT BOOK.