Chapter Ten

Three weeks later, they have settled into a routine with taking turns going on dates and spending time together. Jessica was at work with Brian working on their project. There was a knock at the door. They looked up and Brian saw someone he was not expecting the see standing at the door.

"Rachel?" Brian asked.

"Hi Brian," Rachel said.

"What are you doing here?" Brian asked.

"I was hoping we could talk?" Rachel asked.

"What is there to talk about?" Brian asked.

"Well, it's important," Rachel said.

"I'll let you two talk," Jessica said. She got up and went out the door and went to her office and closed the door. She locked it and sat down and got out her phone and called Nick.

"Hey baby what's up," Nick said.

"Who is Rachel?" Jessica asked.

"What?" Nick asked.

"Rachel, who is she to Brian?" Jessica asked.

"His ex, why?" Nick asked.

"She's here, talking with Brian," Jessica said.

"Jess, where are you now?" Nick asked.

"My office," Jessica said.

"I'm on the way," Nick said. She hung up and sat back in her chair and turned and faced the window overlooking the city. She sat there looking out when she heard someone knock at the door. She didn't move thinking it was Brian. Her phone beeped. She looked and saw it was Nick and he was at her door. She got up and went and opened the door and saw him and pulled him in and closed it and went into his arms. He held her close.

"I'm here, baby," Nick said.

"How close were they?" Jessica asked.

"He came close to asking her to marry him, but before he could go buy the ring, he found her in bed with someone else," Nick said.

"I left him alone with a cheater?!" Jessica said.

"She didn't really cheat, the guy she was found in bed with, he drugged her drink, it wasn't consensual, Jess, they talked a few days later, they got back together for a couple months but then they broke up because they drifted apart," Nick said.

"Oh god," Jessica said. There was a knock and Brian came in and saw them.

"Hey," Brian said.

"Jess called and told me Rachel was here," Nick said.

"What did she want?" Jessica asked.

"She came to tell me that she's pregnant with my child," Brian said.

"Oh god," Jessica said.

"Is she sure it's yours?" Nick asked.

"The doctor gave her the date she conceived and it was three days before the night she was drugged, while we were still together," Brian said.

"Is she lying?" Nick asked.

"She had the paperwork from the doctor and I called him to confirm," Brian said.

"Oh god," Jessica said.

"Jess, I'm sorry," Brian said.

"What are you going to do, man?" Nick asked.

"I want to be there for my child," Brian said.

"Are you getting back with her?" Jessica asked.

"I don't know," Brian said.

"You probably should," Jessica said.

"Jess," Brian said.

"I'm sorry, Brian, I don't want to be responsible for keeping you from your child, you need to be there for Rachel and your child, we have to end this between us, I'm sorry, all we can be is co-workers," Jessica said. She got her stuff and went out the door. Brian leaned against the wall. Nick hugged him.

"I can't believe this is happening," Brian said.

"We'll be there for you, man," Nick said.

"She's right, I have to be there for her and my child, take care of her, bro," Brian said.

"You know I will," Nick said. He went out the door and found Jessica crying against her car in the parking garage.

"Jess, baby," Nick said. She turned and threw herself in his arms. He held her close.

"Oh god Nick!" Jessica said.

"I know, baby, I know," Nick said.

"I still want to be with you," Jessica said.

"I was hoping you would," Nick said.

"Unless you have someone out there who will show up wanting you back or pregnant with your child," Jessica said.

"Nope, I haven't been with anyone in over a year, the last girl I was with, is married and is five months pregnant, she got married six months ago," Nick said.

"Was she your only one?" Jessica asked.

"Yes, she was my high school girlfriend, we got together our senior year, were together all through college, five years after college, we broke up mutually as friends, I even attended her wedding, baby, there is nothing to worry about, I'm all yours," Nick said. She smiled and hugged him.

"And now I'm all yours so it's just you and me," Jessica said.

"Yes, so what do you want to do?" Nick asked.

"Do you need to go back to work?" Jessica asked.

"Crap, yeah I better, will you be okay?" Nick asked.

"Yeah, I'll head home, see you later," Jessica said.

"I'll come back after work," Nick said. He kissed her and left. She got into her car and went home.